21 replies to this topic

#18 fahrquad

fahrquad

All I know is that I know nothing.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1205 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:16 AM

Oh,  I quite agree.  And there are people who approve of this direction.  I knew one such.  I'm sure there are others.  I am glad I won't be around to see it happen, although it is probably closer than even I realize.

IMHO, I think George Orwell's novel "1984" should be required reading for all politicians and software designers.  Heck while we are at it lets add "Animal Farm" to the list.

#19 hazelm

hazelm

Creating

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1042 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 01:33 PM

IMHO, I think George Orwell's novel "1984" should be required reading for all politicians and software designers.  Heck while we are at it lets add "Animal Farm" to the list.

Or, let's start with Animal Farm - much better IMHO - and maybe add 1984.

#20 exchemist

exchemist

Creating

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2717 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:11 AM

Or, let's start with Animal Farm - much better IMHO - and maybe add 1984.

But Animal farm is about the corruption of communism, not totalitarianism, which is the subject of 1984. So I agree with Fahrquad on this. Also I think Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World, since many of the features that cause trouble today are the result of catering unthinkingly for mindless amusement......

#21 hazelm

hazelm

Creating

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1042 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:36 AM

But Animal farm is about the corruption of communism, not totalitarianism, which is the subject of 1984. So I agree with Fahrquad on this. Also I think Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World, since many of the features that cause trouble today are the result of catering unthinkingly for mindless amusement......

I wasn't judging it based on what it benefited; more on how the story flowed.  I remember getting bored with 1984,  Brave New World was better.

Hazel

#22 fahrquad

fahrquad

All I know is that I know nothing.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1205 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:07 PM

Apparently the move to mark individuals has hit locally.  I stopped at the CVS pharmacy down Main Street to pick up some of my insulin pens* and noticed the pharmacist had a bar code sticker on the back of his hand.  I commented that it looked like CVS was selling employees and he said that all of the pharmacists had them.  I thought he was joking until I saw one on the back of the other pharmacist's hand.  I assume the bar code is to identify the pharmacist filling prescriptions in their computer system.

* I now have 5 injectables in my fridge and none of them are heroin.   I've got Humalog, Lantus, Tresiba, and Ozempic, and my wife's first round of Dupixent was delivered on ice by UPS this morning.  On top of that I got my Shingles and TDAP vaccines earlier this evening, so I feel like a pin cushion.

Edited by fahrquad, 20 August 2019 - 11:47 PM.