Science Forums

Can Mars Transform To Habitat The Human ?

I read that Methane is found on Mars. Mean's many many years back there would be some biological activity was going

on mars but due to loosing magnetic field, the shower of cosmic radiation has killed the living habitats on mars.

Can we regenerate the magnetic field of mars artificially?

For example:-

On equator of mars, velocity is 241.17 m/s. If we create some very high static electric charge points

of very high value of coulomb by some small portable nuclear reactor, then circular motion of this charge points

on equator will produce magnetic field on mars. This will protect the human habitats on mars from cosmic radiation.

This may be impossible now but after some year this may be possible.

Human will not fill this charge as it is stable with them but cosmic radiation fill the magnetic field produce due to

circular motion of charges.

Edited by maheshkhati

Thanks fahquad,

Magnetic shield on L1 orbit

Magnetic shield on L1 orbit around Mars

During the Planetary Science Vision 2050 Workshop[23] in late February 2017, NASA scientist Jim Green proposed a concept of placing a magnetic dipole field between the planet and the Sun to protect it from high-energy solar particles. It would be located at the L1 orbit at about 320 R♂. The field would need to be "Earth comparable" and sustain 50000 nT as measured at 1 Earth-radius. The paper abstract cites that this could be achieved by a magnet with a strength of 1–2 teslas (10,000–20,000 gauss).[64] If constructed, the shield may allow the planet to restore its atmosphere. Simulations indicate that within years, the planet would be able to achieve half the atmospheric pressure of Earth. Without solar winds stripping away at the planet, frozen carbon dioxide at the ice caps on either pole would begin to sublimate (change from a solid into a gas) and warm the equator. Ice caps would begin to melt to form an ocean. The researcher further argues that volcanic outgassing,[dubious – discuss] which to some degree balances the current atmospheric loss on Earth, would replenish the atmosphere over time, enough to melt the ice caps and fill ​1⁄7 of Mars' prehistoric oceans.[65][66][23]

------------- as given in wiki, this is also one way to create magnetic shield for mars.

Above thought come to my mind, when I read that airplane & car when run, carries static charge but we do not

fill it as that charge is evenly spread in it.

Means, we can create very high charge carring static points on equator of mars & as velocity of mars at equator

is very high. This circular motion of charge points will generate magnetic field.

This is really interesting because if we create artificial magnetic field or protective field.

Nature will do there work automatically & we will get totally new planet to live in few years.

I read that Methane is found on Mars. Mean's many many years back there would be some biological activity was goingon mars but due to loosing magnetic field, the shower of cosmic radiation has killed the living habitats on mars.Can we regenerate the magnetic field of mars artificially?For example:-On equator of mars, velocity is 241.17 m/s. If we create some very high static electric charge pointsof very high value of coulomb by some small portable nuclear reactor, then circular motion of this charge pointson equator will produce magnetic field on mars. This will protect the human habitats on mars from cosmic radiation.This may be impossible now but after some year this may be possible.Human will not fill this charge as it is stable with them but cosmic radiation fill the magnetic field produce due tocircular motion of charges.

The presence of methane does NOT indicate biological activity, whether present or past.

Methane is found all over the solar system. It is one of the simplest light element molecules, so this is only to be expected.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methane_on_Mars

The reported presence of methane in the atmosphere of Mars is of interest to many geologists and astrobiologists,[1] as methane may indicate the presence of microbial life on Mars, or a geochemical process such as volcanism or hydrothermal activity.[2][3][4][5][6][7]

-------

until we do not explore the mars totally, we can not say that biological activity was going on mars in

past or not but it is accepted fact that mars have lot of water which is basic ingredient for that.

Edited by maheshkhati

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methane_on_MarsThe reported presence of methane in the atmosphere of Mars is of interest to many geologists and astrobiologists,[1] as methane may indicate the presence of microbial life on Mars, or a geochemical process such as volcanism or hydrothermal activity.[2][3][4][5][6][7]-------until we do not explore the mars totally, we can not say that biological activity was going on mars inpast or not but it is accepted fact that mars have lot of water which is basic ingredient for that.

Two points:

i) if it were due to biology, that would have to be active today not a long time ago, since atmospheric methane is removed by various processes on Mars today,

ii) if you read the link , it is clear that non-biological sources are by far the most likely. In fact it looks to me as if the notion that it could be biological in origin is just due to NASA trying to keep the idea of life on Mars alive , in order to keep up the level of funding.

I am leaning toward Ganymede.  Liquid water under an ice crust and the only moon in the solar system with a magnetic field.  The internal ocean is believed to contain more water than all of the oceans of the Earth. The water can be split into oxygen for breathing and hydrogen for fuel and the thick ice crust can protect against radiation from Jupiter while the core is warmed by tidal forces.  The temperature on the surface ranges from 70K (-334F) to 110K (-262F) but I can't find any record of interior temperature (mainly because we haven't sent a probe with a drill so far).

Ganymede_g1_true-edit1.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganymede_(moon)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth

Titan has been proposed as potentially habitable in the past due to its thick atmosphere, but it is composed almost of totally Nitrogen and Methane.  It is also tidal locked as in the same side constantly faces Saturn.  The temperature is 94K (-291F), and there is no trace of oxygen or water.

Titan_in_true_color.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_(moon)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Whether Mars becomes a human colony/station/outpost, or one of the moons of Jupiter or Saturn, I just hope it happens asap! As a species we lack redundancy being solely located on the 3rd rock. 1 major catastrophic event (major volcano, asteroid, nukes, bio etc.) could permanently wipe us out. The sooner we expand outward into space, hopefully in multiples directions, the sooner we can be redundant. Multiple catastrophes would need to occur to wipe us out.

I think the radiation threat on Mars can be avoided by boring tunnels and using several feet of Mars soil as a radiation shield. Seems plausible in principle for an outpost or station, probably not a full blown colony because most habitants (civilian) would reject the notion. Same With Jupiter's moon Europa or Saturn' moon Enceladus...decent ice layer to protect from radiation (even Jupiter's). Of course it may need to be an underwater colony due to scientific consensus believing oceans exist below the ice sheets. I recall Europa having an abundance of oxygen in the atmosphere which is a plus.

What do you guys/gals think about setting up stations on an asteroid in the belt or even one, or a dwarf planet, out in the Kuiper belt? Most of what I have learned leans toward them being ideal candidates for mining. Much lower escape velocities are a plus for jettisoning the mining cargo elsewhere in the solar system. Sadly, I have not read much (if anything) regarding habitats. I wonder if you could create an Earthlike atmosphere on an asteroid? Or would it lack enough gravitatational bounding and get stripped away from solar wind?

Edited by Kardashev6