3 replies to this topic

#1 Khoxy

Khoxy

Thinking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 02:04 AM

A heat engine operates between two reservoirs at 300k. During each cycle, it absorbs 200 calories from the high temperature reservoir. Calculate:
(a) The maximum efficiency of the system

(B) The maximum works the engine can perform in each cycle

The problem is giving me tough time because the temperature range doesn't give two figures - it's just 300k. May somebody tip me please!

Edited by Khoxy, 31 July 2019 - 02:05 AM.

#2 exchemist

exchemist

Creating

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2717 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 12:05 AM

A heat engine operates between two reservoirs at 300k. During each cycle, it absorbs 200 calories from the high temperature reservoir. Calculate:
(B) The maximum works the engine can perform in each cycle
The problem is giving me tough time because the temperature range doesn't give two figures - it's just 300k. May somebody tip me please!

Well obviously you are right: the problem, as you have stated it, makes no sense. Some of the information needed to answer. It is indeed missing. Have you tried re-reading the question? Or querying it with the person who set it?

#3 Khoxy

Khoxy

Thinking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 10:59 PM

Thanks exchemist. The question comes from a well experienced university lecturer. And this is not the first time for him to ask very confusing questions. I don't know what he expects from us.

#4 Flummoxed

Flummoxed

Explaining

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 02:36 AM

( :cool: The maximum works the engine can perform in each cycle

Would it not help to make some assumptions about an ideal system. Is this link helpful, or is it teaching you to suck eggs https://en.wikipedia...gine#Efficiency