Science Forums

Wet Computers

Friends,

Are wet computers Engineering or Biology?

Anyway, I have often visualized a vat grown modular brain suspended in a bubbling oxygen rich nutrient bath in something like a fish tank. Individual "slabs" of brain can be pulled out like the sections of a beehive. They can even be replaced as long as you don't replace too many at one time.

The brain cells are connected to an electronic computer that acts as an input/output device and does any number-crunching better suited to digital intelligence...

Is this even remotely possible in principle?

Any observations about unforeseen aspects of such a system?

…..Saxon Violence 

I would assume a "wet computer" would be that gray stuff between our ears.  We may not rival the electronic computers that we have created in speed or capacity, but our 3 pounds of mush have the capacity for imagination, creativity, empathy, and other traits an electronic computer cannot yet mimic.

• 1 month later...

To understand this concept we must look to the past in Russia if how a dog head is kept living is to be understood.

The Future you may ask?........ of course we will have heads in jars.

Star-Trekk-Cast.jpg

For Dramatic effect, here is a clip from my favorite video game about this a "Human Wet Computer" , The Merging of Man and Machine.

Edited by VictorMedvil

• 4 weeks later...

Friends,

Are wet computers Engineering or Biology?

Anyway, I have often visualized a vat grown modular brain suspended in a bubbling oxygen rich nutrient bath in something like a fish tank. Individual "slabs" of brain can be pulled out like the sections of a beehive. They can even be replaced as long as you don't replace too many at one time.

The brain cells are connected to an electronic computer that acts as an input/output device and does any number-crunching better suited to digital intelligence...

Is this even remotely possible in principle?

Any observations about unforeseen aspects of such a system?

…..Saxon Violence 

I would question the value of the organic component when an electronic creation of sufficient complexity may soon rival the organic.

• 8 months later...

I know this is an old topic, but that isolated dogs head looks like something the Mexicans would post on live leak. I thought that stuff was sci-fI. Does anyone know if these experiments have been continued? How much progress has been made in this area?

Fascinating stuff.

Dog Heads? Mere childs play!

HEAVEN: The head anastomosis venture Project outline for the first human head transplantation with spinal linkage (GEMINI)

"Under the operating microscope, the cords in both subjects are clean-cut simultaneously as the last step before separation. Some slack must be allowed for, thus allowing further severance in order to fashion a strain-free fusion and side-step the natural retraction of the two segments away from the transection plane. White matter is particularly resistant to many of the factors associated with secondary injury processes in the central nervous system (CNS) such as oxygen and glucose deprivation and this is a safeguard to local manipulation.

Once R's head is separated, it is transferred onto D's body to the tubes that would connect it to D's circulation, whose head had been removed. The two cord stumps are accosted, length-adjusted and fused within 1-2 minutes: The proximal and distal cord segments must not be accosted too tightly to avoid further damage and not too loose to stop fusion. A chitosan-PEG glue, as described, will effect the fusion. Simultaneously, PEG or a derivative is infused into D's blood-stream over 15’-30’. A few loose sutures are applied around the joined cord, threading the arachnoid, in order to reinforce the link. A second IV injection of PEG or derivative may be administered within 4-6 hours of the initial injection.

The bony separation can be achieved transsomatically (i.e., C5 or C6 bodies are cut in two) or through the intervertebral spaces. In both R and D, after appropriate laminectomies, a durotomy, both on the axial and posterior sagittal planes, would follow, exposing the cords. In D, the cord only has been previously cooled. If need be, pressure in D is maintained with volume expansion and appropriate drugs.

The vascular anastomosis for the cephalosomatic preparation is easily accomplished by employing bicarotid-carotid and bijugular-jugular silastic loop cannulae. Subsequently, the vessel tubes would be removed one by one, and the surgeons would sew the arteries and veins of the transplanted head together with those of the new body. Importantly, during head transference, the main vessels are tip-clamped to avoid air embolism and a later no-reflow phenomenon in small vessels. Upon linkage, D's flow will immediately start to rewarm R's head. The previously exposed vertebral arteries will also be reconstructed.

The dura is sewn in a watertight fashion. Stabilization would follow the principles employed for teardrop fractures, anterior followed by posterior stabilization with a mix of wires/cables, lateral mass screws and rods, clamps and so forth, depending on cadaveric rehearsals.

Trachea, esophagus, the vagi, and the phrenic nerves are reconnected, these latter with a similar approach to the cord. All muscles are joined appropriately using the markers. The skin is sewn by plastic surgeons for maximal cosmetic results"

It is only a matter of when.