Science Forums

What Happened To This Forum?

SaxonViolence

Friends.

It has been awhile before I came around.

Truthfully, I discovered Chinese Light Novels and my addiction leaves me little time or enthusiasm for other things...

Anyway, in days gone by there were beaucoup members—each more brilliant than the last.

Rather than have to explain which Forum that I was referring to when I discussed something with my sister, that I'd read here, I'd simply call it "That Genius' Forum."

There used to be one fellow who disliked me with a burning passion—something to do with my handle and motto. Truthfully, I used to avoid coming around unless I had a burning question simply because I saw little need to antagonize him.

There was also a kind-hearted moderator who asked me not to feel unwelcome.

Fast forward, and the Forum had a new name and it was being reorganized to mainly be a learning resource for students.

Skip another couple or three years and now you have about five or six active posters. 

What happened?

I suppose that the fellow who disliked me is no longer active—or he would have excoriated me again by now. I don't know if the kind moderator is still aboard or not.

I don't remember either of their handles. When I went to look at some of the old posts just to get the names—all of the old archives seems to have disappeared.

Y'all seem a good crowd and—not to exaggerate my importance—it seems like you could use another reasonably frequent poster. I will try to come around fairly often.

Forums seem to have a critical mass for both members and number of posts, Also, once above the critical mass they seem to grow by a slow exponential rate...

Until something knocks them in the head and then they waste away remarkably rapidly.

…..Saxon Violence

It has been overthrown by relativity cranks is what happened. The non-relativity cranks are having trouble holding back the horde of relativity cranks there is a constant war between crank and non-crank. *takes a wet stone to his sword, sharpening it* The combat will continue into the near future until one side wins, I fight on the side of the non-crank. This war has devastated Hypography causing people to believe in lunacy, the war continues. During this now 1 year war, I have become death destroyer of cranks.  This forum was once a very different place before the usurper cranks came, they fill this forum with posts about crank theories. They believe that Einstein is wrong, we believe he is right join the fight. We will someday defeat the relativity cranks and restore hypography to a state of peace, I know it. We are working on a Weapon of mass destruction, called "Einstein was right because of evidence supporting relativity", but it is unknown whether it will effect the cranks and end the war as intended, much more powerful then "E=MCis right because of nuclear fission" weapons against cranks.

Edited by VictorMedvil

It has been overthrown by relativity cranks is what happened. The non-relativity cranks are having trouble holding back the horde of relativity cranks there is a constant war between crank and non-crank. *takes a wet stone to his sword, sharpening it* The combat will continue into the near future until one side wins, I fight on the side of the non-crank. This war has devastated Hypography causing people to believe in lunacy, the war continues. During this now 1 year war, I have become death destroyer of cranks.  This forum was once a very different place before the usurper cranks came, they fill this forum with posts about crank theories. They believe that Einstein is wrong, we believe he is right join the fight. We will someday defeat the relativity cranks and restore hypography to a state of peace, I know it. We are working on a Weapon of mass destruction, called "Einstein was right because of evidence supporting relativity", but it is unknown whether it will effect the cranks and end the war as intended, much more powerful then "E=MCis right because of nuclear fission" weapons against cranks.

Lets see you show where the rationalists are wrong then. Ive started a new topic called "collecting evidence negating all of einsteins hypothesies'

The easiest way to shut up a anti Relativity is to simple show where they are wrong.

So far its been a simple matter to explain why Einstein is wrong.

EE...

It is my understanding that Einstein didn't "Debunk" Newton.

It is more correct to say that he demonstrated that Classical Newtonian Mechanics was a special case approximately true when velocities were a relatively small percent of "C." 

I'm no Physicist, so if I'm spouting Bullshit, let me know.

Any contemporary theory that attempts to do Einstein what Einstein did to Newton, must find a larger context where Einsteinian Relativity is only a special case.

How could this be done?

If I knew how to do that, I'd be writing my Nobel Acceptance Speech!

It is unlikely that there IS a larger context wherein Relativity is only a special case.

After all, Einstein didn't—in essence—say to Newton:

"Newton, you dullard! You got the whole damned thing WRONG!"

It seems rather improbable that anyone will ever be in a position to say the same thing to Einstein.

After all, Einstein had a brilliant fashion sense...

Ach ja!

Hang in there. A Forum that I used to enjoy became infested with Flat Earthers—which isn't why I quit going. That Forum simply stopped being fun.

…..Saxon Violence

EE...

It is more correct to say that he demonstrated that Classical Newtonian Mechanics was a special case approximately true when velocities were a relatively small percent of "C." 

Any contemporary theory that attempts to do Einstein what Einstein did to Newton, must find a larger context where Einsteinian Relativity is only a special case.

How could this be done?

It is unlikely that there IS a larger context wherein Relativity is only a special case.

It seems rather improbable that anyone will ever be in a position to say the same thing to Einstein.

Ach ja!

Hang in there. A Forum that I used to enjoy became infested with Flat Earthers—which isn't why I quit going. That Forum simply stopped being fun.

…..Saxon Violence

That is something I am sure relativists and Non-relativists can agree on Flat Earther's are insane. There is no argument that could possibly ever convince me that the earth is flat having watched the earth from orbit from satellite.

Edited by VictorMedvil

EE...

How could this be done?

Ach ja!

…..Saxon Violence

Yes this forum is overrun by cranks, with a fair sprinkling of the mentally ill, thanks I suspect to its very generous moderation policy.

A good number of the active posters now are refugees, banned (sometimes repeatedly) from just about every other science forum on the internet. Since almost nobody gets banned here, there comes a point at which the only option is not to respond. So what you will see is a lot of threads that are almost blogs, by various obsessives that have exhausted everybody else's patience. 

I do a bit to keep some of the physical science straight, but the relativity cranks here are too prolific to be worth taking on. Also, being a chemist, I am not a relativity expert, so it would be hard work for me anyway.

Many of these forums are dying now. I suspect the reason may be to do with the growth of social media as a rival channel. (Personally, I refuse to have any social media presence, due to their intrusive nature, which is why I am still on these forums.) 

Yes this forum is overrun by cranks, with a fair sprinkling of the mentally ill, thanks I suspect to its very generous moderation policy.

A good number of the active posters now are refugees, banned (sometimes repeatedly) from just about every other science forum on the internet. Since almost nobody gets banned here, there comes a point at which the only option is not to respond. So what you will see is a lot of threads that are almost blogs, by various obsessives that have exhausted everybody else's patience. 

I do a bit to keep some of the physical science straight, but the relativity cranks here are too prolific to be worth taking on. Also, being a chemist, I am not a relativity expert, so it would be hard work for me anyway.

Many of these forums are dying now. I suspect the reason may be to do with the growth of social media as a rival channel. (Personally, I refuse to have any social media presence, due to their intrusive nature, which is why I am still on these forums.) 

Well, the cranks are waiting for the "enlightened ones" to use reason, and logic to show them why Special Relativity and General Relativity can possibly not be bullshit.

But to date, the enlightened ones have yet to respond with anything that can be considered a sound argument.

All we get is "anti-relativists are cranks".

This is not an argument, its an admission of defeat.

EE...

How could this be done?

Ach ja!

…..Saxon Violence

You are mistaken, Einstein did nothing to Newton.  He certainly did not show that there was some lack of accuracy in Newtons laws. He only demonstrated that he (Einstein) DID NOT UNDERSTAND INERTIAL FRAMES of REFERENCE!

If you apply Newtonian laws correctly, then you DO NOT get any problem such as the claim that "Newton's laws don't work for things that are moving really fast."

That is a misconception. Einsteins work relies on misconceptions from the first postulate to the conclusion.

Edited by marcospolo

Lets see you show where the rationalists are wrong then. Ive started a new topic called "collecting evidence negating all of einsteins hypothesies'

So sayeth most cranks. You cannot collect evidence when you cannot demonstrate a proper understanding of relativity. Just the statement alone ''negating all of Einstein's hypothesis' '' is a major indication you are a crank by the fullest definition. I followed one post by you and have not been in any other, because you are a wild objectionist without reason.

You are mistaken, Einstein did nothing to Newton.  He certainly did not show that there was some lack of accuracy in Newtons laws.

Wrong again, you are in no position to say ''Einstein did nothing.'' Einstein did in fact do a lot to Newtonian physics, hence why his theory prevailed. But when you come out with idiot statements, you'll be treated as such.

Continual unmoderated hijacking of threads, has been a problem from time to time.

While I have great respect for moderators here, its not so much the hijacking - because that can be fixed. I am more concerned about which moderator is being chosen responsible for removing posts from the physics section into area's like psychology - which happened once to me and recently another post moved into the hypothesis subforum, without explanation.

Perhaps it would be wise for moderators to condone their actions, that way, the forum will not be subjected to strange decisions without reason.

In fact, I am going to go one step further, forget about what has happened to my posts.... the real question is how (clearly crankish posts) have not been removed from the physics subforum. If I was paranoid, I'd take these actions as something personal against me.

Someone is out to get you dubbel, better watch your back........ Oh God your enemies are all around you....... Must Exterminate them.....  0.o , In any case I put a 99% chance that it was GAHD as he is the only admin that has been on.

Edited by VictorMedvil

Someone is out to get you dubbel, better watch your back........ Oh God your enemies are all around you....... Must Exterminate them.....  0.o , In any case I put a 99% chance that it was GAHD as he is the only admin that has been on.

I don't point fingers, I'd just like moderators to condone their actions. If a moderator is incapable of explaining their reason, it is probably because they cannot.

Friends.

It has been awhile before I came around.

Truthfully, I discovered Chinese Light Novels and my addiction leaves me little time or enthusiasm for other things...

Anyway, in days gone by there were beaucoup members—each more brilliant than the last.

Rather than have to explain which Forum that I was referring to when I discussed something with my sister, that I'd read here, I'd simply call it "That Genius' Forum."

There used to be one fellow who disliked me with a burning passion—something to do with my handle and motto. Truthfully, I used to avoid coming around unless I had a burning question simply because I saw little need to antagonize him.

There was also a kind-hearted moderator who asked me not to feel unwelcome.

Fast forward, and the Forum had a new name and it was being reorganized to mainly be a learning resource for students.

Skip another couple or three years and now you have about five or six active posters. 

What happened?

I suppose that the fellow who disliked me is no longer active—or he would have excoriated me again by now. I don't know if the kind moderator is still aboard or not.

I don't remember either of their handles. When I went to look at some of the old posts just to get the names—all of the old archives seems to have disappeared.

Y'all seem a good crowd and—not to exaggerate my importance—it seems like you could use another reasonably frequent poster. I will try to come around fairly often.

Forums seem to have a critical mass for both members and number of posts, Also, once above the critical mass they seem to grow by a slow exponential rate...

Until something knocks them in the head and then they waste away remarkably rapidly.

…..Saxon Violence

Welcome back Saxon.  Speaking for myself, I generally avoid the threads where the uber-geeks want to argue over the minutiae of quantum physics unless I have some wisecrack to insert for my own amusement.  This site needs more posters with more varied interests and no new members should be discouraged by someone who wants to show their own intellectual superiority by belittling those less knowledgeable.

Edited by fahrquad

Welcome back Saxon.  Speaking for myself, I generally avoid the threads where the uber-geeks want to argue over the minutiae of quantum physics unless I have some wisecrack to insert for my own amusement.  This site needs more posters with more varied interests and no new members should be discouraged by someone who wants to show their own intellectual superiority by belittling those less knowledgeable.

Indeed, we should welcome posters back, except your disregard for what you call ''uber-geeks'' is highly offensive to the posters here who take their time to help others understand physics. Besides... you are one of the cranks this forum has had to put up with.... and yes, corrections, no matter how minute, should be the pivotal standard of an education. If you ignore it, then you'll never learn. And no, there is no ''belittling'' people of lesser knowledge, but a crank however should reap what they sow.

I don't point fingers, I'd just like moderators to condone their actions. If a moderator is incapable of explaining their reason, it is probably because they cannot.

You above all contributors here, cant expect reason to prevail. You cry crank, but not realizing that you are the crank.

Never, not once, have you been able to explain rationally the bizarre theories of Einstine, yet you insist that they are correct. Your only answer is always the same'

"Cranks don't understand Relativity, if they learned what I learned, they would think like me."

We anti relativists only insist that any claim of Physics MUST show a consistency of rational thoughts, and display the use of deductive logic.

As you seem incapable of proving this in any of your statements about HOW relativity is supposed to work, then us "cranks" must continue to call a space a spade.

So the solution for you to rid the world of cranks is to still the same as its always been, to show us why our criticisms of Einstein can possibly be unjustified.

Unless you are willing to do that you should expect that cranks will continue to ask embarrassing questions.

But it's gone beyond that really.  The "cranks" have a case so strong that it's no longer debatable.

The evidence is clear.  The conclusion is that for one to still believe in Relativity, one must accept irrationality and non-sensical as the foundational guiding principals in the study of Physics.

Meanwhile "the cranks" are happy to point to you and call you intellectually dishonest.