Science Forums

Scientists Modulate The Speed Of Light

I guess that light enters a box that has some form tiltable mirror and that light pulse is reflected to make the pulse look like it's moving any speed at a right angle to the box. I think it's the old laser pointer across the surface of the moon at the flick of a wrist trick but I don't know because science is crooked and they want to claim stuff in misleading and crooked ways enabled by ignorant science journalists. If that article was honest in any way, the 1st thing it would have explained is that the light isn't actually moving at 30c.

Edited by ralfcis

I hate to quote Wiki because that's for dumb people but there's a chance the phenomenon they're taking advantage of is group velocity artifacts:

" Essentially the seemingly superluminal transmission is an artifact of the narrow band approximation used above to define group velocity and happens because of resonance phenomena in the intervening medium. In a wide band analysis it is seen that the apparently paradoxical speed of propagation of the signal envelope is actually the result of local interference of a wider band of frequencies over many cycles, all of which propagate perfectly causally and at phase velocity. The result is akin to the fact that shadows can travel faster than light, even if the light causing them always propagates at light speed; since the phenomenon being measured is only loosely connected with causality, it does not necessarily respect the rules of causal propagation, even if it under normal circumstances does so and leads to a common intuition."

I still think they're using some flicked mirror technique though. Anytime you read an article that implies FTL, you should know it's a fraud.

Edited by ralfcis

Incredible! If they are FTL then where is the catch. 

I read the article and re read it, I am not sure if they are exceeding the speed of light as they claim, or are using some verbal trickery.

The following link gives more detail, https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-019-08735-8 and it is still clear as mud :(

There has to be a catch right? That was my first initial thoughts.

Reading the link from Flummoxed, the "catch" is there, when it's described how the gaussian pulse is reconstructed, after reflection

of the composite signal of the ST  pulse and the reference pulse.

They play with relative phase velocity of both pulses, when reconstructed back at the original grating that shaped the gaussian pulse.

They play with differential delays in the range of 0º to 180º over the retrofitted gaussian pulse, and call subluminal speeds if the reference

pulse is close to the 0º reference at the gaussian one, and supraluminal speed if they get a shift of the ref. pulse towards the end of

the gaussian one (IMHO).

There is a lot of scrambled words to make it different, but there is no modulation (information = 0).

I've looked at the diagram to get a better understanding, but only the forward path is in the graph.

Anyways, applications that can emerge are to be applied into optical comm systems, as they say.

I found this link, about a forum, where this news is discussed:

https://www.lenr-forum.com/forum/thread/5961-ucf-researchers-develop-way-to-control-speed-of-light-send-it-backward/

OK, they work at open space, but the goal is to use it into fiber optics (my best guess).

Well, if there isn't a catch to this paper it could show how to make reverse time travel devices if they indeed where able to make the object go faster than light without exotic matter, I will be reading the paper closely to see if there is a catch like the "Negative Mass" particle which only had movement in the opposite direction as the force which was still useful for Warp Drive as a Anti-Lorentz Contraction particle, I would love some inspiration into sending Light particles backward in time via faster than light travel maybe I will communicate the answer back to myself via this process, imagine reverse time travel radio waves for wifi, 1.....2.....3... Nope. See if it really was faster than light wouldn't I have just received an answer from the future from knowing this process and being intent on using it? This is always my test for "so called" time travel, you should be able to create the Novikov Self-consistency Principal(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novikov_self-consistency_principle) with any proposed time travel method basically meaning, If I create Time Travel using this method can I communicate backward in time and tell myself how to do it, if such method works with as long as the civilization survives to send the message.

Edited by VictorMedvil

I think rhertz is on-target here. The key is it is the group velocity they have manipulated.

When one talks of the "speed of light" it can be important to distinguish various "speeds". There is the phase velocity, which is what is slowed down in an optically sense medium, but when there is a wave packet there is also the group velocity and the front velocity to consider. As a mere chemist I am not an expert on this, but my understanding is that the thing that is invariant is the rate at which information can be transmitted. I rather think this is something called the signal velocity. The relationships between these are far from trivial.

I agree exchemist here is a quote from the published paper,

"The publication of Einstein’s seminal work on special relativity initiated an investigation of the speed of light in materials featuring strong chromatic dispersion. Indeed, the group velocity vg of an optical pulse in a resonant dispersive medium can deviate significantly from the speed of light in vacuum c, without posing a challenge to relativistic causality when vg > c because the information speed never exceeds c. " (https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-019-08735-8)

The Information Velocity never exceeds C which is why this doesn't do Time Travel when they manipulate the Group Velocity, thus not violate causality, which if they had changed the Information velocity it would violate causality making time traveling photons. Man, that would have been cool if they had found a way to make the information speed faster than light, I would have received a message from the future yesterday. There truly is a cloud in every silver lining, it could have been time traveler Victor Medvil and scienceforums.com posters/readers.

Edited by VictorMedvil