Photo
- - - - -

Spilled Phosphoric Acid All Over Myself Without Option To Shower For A Few Hours. What To Do?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 david77

david77

Curious

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 09:12 AM

Hello all! I don't know where else to ask this so i ask in here in hope that it will get answered. Kind of an emergency. So, im a farmer and went over to a field to refill and ph a water tank. Spilled ph down all over myself, wiped it, changed clothes but i have no possibility of a shower and im starting to get itchy when the chemical made contact. Is it ok if i stay like this for a couple hours to finish up or i should go and frantically wash everything off?

Thanks in advance!

#2 VictorMedvil

VictorMedvil

The Human Shadow

• Members
  • 1033 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 09:19 AM

Well, I think it will be fine for a couple of hours but as soon as possible wash it off, of course. Now if it were a stronger acid I would take measures to get it off me immediately but with a weak acid like Phosphoric Acid I think you can wait but as soon as possible.

Edited by VictorMedvil, 05 May 2019 - 09:21 AM.

#3 exchemist

exchemist

Creating

• Members
  • 2476 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 09:51 AM

Hello all! I don't know where else to ask this so i ask in here in hope that it will get answered. Kind of an emergency. So, im a farmer and went over to a field to refill and ph a water tank. Spilled ph down all over myself, wiped it, changed clothes but i have no possibility of a shower and im starting to get itchy when the chemical made contact. Is it ok if i stay like this for a couple hours to finish up or i should go and frantically wash everything off?

Thanks in advance!

I don't believe you. If you were in an emergency, you would not go hunting the internet on your mobile phone for obscure science forums to ask this question, to which the answer is bloody obvious: WASH IT OFF. NOW.    

You would read the directions on the drum and follow them. 

Lisa L? Frank Baker? Gaiagirl? 

#4 exchemist

exchemist

Creating

• Members
  • 2476 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 11:11 AM

Well, I think it will be fine for a couple of hours but as soon as possible wash it off, of course. Now if it were a stronger acid I would take measures to get it off me immediately but with a weak acid like Phosphoric Acid I think you can wait but as soon as possible.

I quote from this US format MSDS:   https://www.labchem....sds/LC18640.pdf

"Wash immediately with lots of water (15 minutes)/shower. Do not apply (chemical) neutralizing agents. Remove clothing while washing. Do not remove clothing if it sticks to the skin. Cover wounds with sterile bandage. Consult a doctor/medical service. If burned surface > 10%: take victim to hospital."

#5 fahrquad

fahrquad

All I know is that I know nothing.

• Members
  • 1033 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:48 PM

It is too easy to take casual chemical exposure too lightly.  For example, many years ago (1990-ish) I was pouring a new concrete patio at my first house.  I spent hours on my knees troweling the wet concrete.  After a while my knees and shins started burning, I assumed from kneeling for so long, so I sat down.  As it turned out concrete contains lye, which is caustic, so I ended up with burns on my shins, thighs, and buttocks.  After several weeks of painful healing I am left with a few scars on my shins.  I haven't had occasion to examine my butt although I show it often.  :innocent:

https://www.concrete...from-concrete_o

#6 fahrquad

fahrquad

All I know is that I know nothing.

• Members
  • 1033 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 05:29 PM

I don't believe you. If you were in an emergency, you would not go hunting the internet on your mobile phone for obscure science forums to ask this question, to which the answer is bloody obvious: WASH IT OFF. NOW.    

You would read the directions on the drum and follow them. 

Lisa L? Frank Baker? Gaiagirl? 

Seriously.  The package label had all of the first aid info he could possibly need.  I sometimes wonder if any of the questions here are posted by bots to populate paid answer sites.  Any computer whizzes here have any thoughts?  PS, I am pretty sure I am not a bot, so your answer won't be re-posted elsewhere, at least not by me.

#7 GAHD

GAHD

Eldritch Horror

• Administrators
  • 2565 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:58 PM

or they're a rural guy with a cellphone who aquires barels and boxes of stuff transferred into other barrels and boxes of stuff without all that pesky paperwork added to it. You wuldn't know the barrels of fuel oil from the barrels of water from the barrels of corn syrup on my uncle's farm unless you opened it and took a sniff or knew his east wall / south wall / west wall filing system...even then sniff would be a better bet. GFL finding a MSDS binder "somewhere" among the other papers.

#8 Flummoxed

Flummoxed

Explaining

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 02:37 AM

If he still hasn't washed it off, he might have a luminescence, and all those rust stains will have come out of his cloths, Does Phosphoric Acid affect other stains?

#9 exchemist

exchemist

Creating

• Members
  • 2476 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 03:26 AM

or they're a rural guy with a cellphone who aquires barels and boxes of stuff transferred into other barrels and boxes of stuff without all that pesky paperwork added to it. You wuldn't know the barrels of fuel oil from the barrels of water from the barrels of corn syrup on my uncle's farm unless you opened it and took a sniff or knew his east wall / south wall / west wall filing system...even then sniff would be a better bet. GFL finding a MSDS binder "somewhere" among the other papers.

....and he can change his clothes, but has no access to running water? When he has just been refilling a WATER TANK? 

I mean f*** off. 

#10 GAHD

GAHD

Eldritch Horror

• Administrators
  • 2565 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 04:05 AM

....and he can change his clothes, but has no access to running water? When he has just been refilling a WATER TANK? 

I mean f*** off. 

How many farms you been on? And if the tank's being mixed with ferts(I assume) and PH balancers(I assume for the ferts), do you think it's the kinda water you'd use to rinse yourself off? Questionable if there's a hose nearby, or it's direct well-pump-tank in brass/iron, or if they dumped from a bucket slipped onto a fork...and considering from the post, I'd bet it was a bucket on a fork emptied into a larger irrigation tank.
See in my experience with the rustic life, you fix what you can with what you got. My dad told me a story about servicing a tractor on one farm and pulling out a milled hardwood piston head from an engine cause "I guess that's what they had." I've seen some butcher but ingenious work with wave-trapping bells and a check valve as a passive pump shifting lake water to a raised tank a mile away up a grade. You might know your chemistry, but from your attitude I think your practical and fieldwork is either very rusty or non-extant. ;)

#11 exchemist

exchemist

Creating

• Members
  • 2476 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 07:03 AM

How many farms you been on? And if the tank's being mixed with ferts(I assume) and PH balancers(I assume for the ferts), do you think it's the kinda water you'd use to rinse yourself off? Questionable if there's a hose nearby, or it's direct well-pump-tank in brass/iron, or if they dumped from a bucket slipped onto a fork...and considering from the post, I'd bet it was a bucket on a fork emptied into a larger irrigation tank.
See in my experience with the rustic life, you fix what you can with what you got. My dad told me a story about servicing a tractor on one farm and pulling out a milled hardwood piston head from an engine cause "I guess that's what they had." I've seen some butcher but ingenious work with wave-trapping bells and a check valve as a passive pump shifting lake water to a raised tank a mile away up a grade. You might know your chemistry, but from your attitude I think your practical and fieldwork is either very rusty or non-extant. ;)

Sounds like the Four Yorkshiremen sketch. Without getting into a p*ssing contest on agricultural credentials, I'm afraid I still don't believe this tale. It requires a concatenation of highly unlikely circumstances, not the least of which is the point i made at the start that hunting for little-known science forums on the internet does not seem a likely reaction to what is basically a potential medical emergency.   

#12 Flummoxed

Flummoxed

Explaining

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:45 AM

Sounds like the Four Yorkshiremen sketch. Without getting into a p*ssing contest on agricultural credentials, I'm afraid I still don't believe this tale. It requires a concatenation of highly unlikely circumstances, not the least of which is the point i made at the start that hunting for little-known science forums on the internet does not seem a likely reaction to what is basically a potential medical emergency.   

Whats with the Yorskshire Jokes, this guy is clearly from pink panther country :)  Durham Durham. 

Highly unlikely circumstances, perhaps he was bored! Maybe he/she was itching for an answer to something that happened in the past. :out:

It is sorry state of affairs when this is about the most plausible or interesting thing being discussed on the forum at the moment. 

#13 OceanBreeze

OceanBreeze

Creating

• Moderators
  • 1030 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:53 AM

I'm just glad I had the good sense to stay out of this troll thread.

Oh wait! Damn, trolled again!

• GAHD and sanctus like this