Science Forums

Arecibo

fahrquad

The wife and I were coming home from dinner and I noticed a license plate that said Utuado, which immediately made me think of the radio telescope in neighboring Arecibo in Puerto Rico.  The telescope consists of a grid attached to a natural bowl shaped depression up in the Cordilla Central.  It is a fairly impressive sight if you happen to make it to PR.  No passport required if arriving from the continental US, but be prepared for a body cavity search.

180222-arecibo-630x515.jpg

If anyone has plans to explore the island make sure you allot at least 2 weeks.  It is a big island.

PR_MostRecentMap.png

There are ferries going from Fajardo to Culebra and Viquez.  The snorkeling off Culebra is dynamite.  There is not much to see on Viquez other than two towns on either end, and a military range in between.

Edited by fahrquad

El Junque National Forest, the only rain-forest in the National Park system, is located in Rio Grande up in the northeast corner.  The plant and animal specimens are spectacular, and are well worth the trip to PR if for no other reason.

"The El Yunque National Forest is the only tropical rain forest in the national forest system.  At nearly 29,000 acres, it is one of the smallest in size, yet one of the most biologically diverse of the national forests hosting hundreds of animal and plant species, some of which are found only here."

1-misty-rainforest-el-yunque-thomas-r-fl

I fully expected to see a velociraptor peek out of the bushes.

Amblypygi%2C_El_Yunque_National_Forest%2

Put a saddle on that monster.

Dinner for the monster above.

Some of the native birds in second link below.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/elyunque/

https://www.rainforestinn.com/myblog/bird-watching-in-el-yunque-rainforest-of-puerto-rico

ADD:  The tree frog above is called a Coqui for the call it makes at night that goes "Co-keeee".

Edited by fahrquad