Science Forums

Why Planck's Formula For Black Body Radiation Is Used To Measure The Cbr?

rhertz

My young nephew has stopped choir singing due to his voice changing, he has grown nearly a foot in the last year. 

When considering the (re)combination stage of the big bang, could a hydrogen atom, combine with a hydrogen ion forming H2+, before combining with another electron forming H2. ie at a big bang could both H and H2 have formed and does H2 have to be formed in a cold environment? The sun burns Hydrogen atoms fusing them into Helium, does it not also burn Hydrogen molecules, or would hydrogen molecules become hot and lose their electrons and fall apart into H+

OK practice finished, just need to get changed in 15mins and go.

The bond strength of H2 is 4.5eV, whereas the ionisation energy is 13.6eV, 3 times as much.

At high temperatures there is enough thermal kinetic energy for the H-H bonds to break, leading to free atoms of hydrogen. But from the energy data you can see that you need much higher temperatures than this to knock the electron out of the atom. Once this happens you have ions and elections: a plasma. That is the form of hydrogen in the sun. Neither atoms nor molecules would persist at the temperature of stars. 

I had worked that out, what I am still toying with, is could the CBR be due to amongst other things a cold or hot evolutionary stage of the universe. Its a just a case of time scales as far as I can see. Separation of virtual particles > forming quarks, forming atoms etc. 

Dynamic casimr effect produces particles from virtual particles. Could rapid expansion of space on its own unrestricted by gravity cause the apparent inflationary stage of the universe. 

Well if you accept that cosmic expansion will have reddened the CMBR from what it was when it was emitted, then doesn't it have to be from a hot plasma?