Science Forums

It Held Peru Together

hazelm

Maybe it could hold America together.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/04/190418080814.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily%2Ftop_news%2Ftop_science+%28ScienceDaily%3A+Top+Science+News%29

Drink beer?  It held the Wari society of Peru together for hundreds of years.  And scientists have found how to make it.  It will be released in Chicago area stores in June as Wari Ale. 

As a non-beer aficianado, I must ask:  Are beer and ale similar?  the same?

Finally, a subject that I know something about!

Ale is one of the two main types of beers, the other being lager.

But there is a place that is far more informative than I; so, I recommend you go to Beer 101.

At the right of the page are two small boxes, What's an Ale? and What’s a Lager?

The difference is easy to see; Ale is preceded by “an” and Lager is preceded by “a”

But I seriously doubt that beer can hold things together. For example, it can’t prevent Brexit; I mean, those beer-swigging Brits will never see eye-to-eye with the wine-sipping French art de vivre. As for America, Donald Trump is a non-drinker. Too bad about that; I think it might do him some good to get drunk now and then; it certainly can’t hurt!

Finally, a subject that I know something about!

Ale is one of the two main types of beers, the other being lager.

But there is a place that is far more informative than I; so, I recommend you go to Beer 101.

At the right of the page are two small boxes, What's an Ale? and What’s a Lager?

The difference is easy to see; Ale is preceded by “an” and Lager is preceded by “a”

But I seriously doubt that beer can hold things together. For example, it can’t prevent Brexit; I mean, those beer-swigging Brits will never see eye-to-eye with the wine-sipping French art de vivre. As for America, Donald Trump is a non-drinker. Too bad about that; I think it might do him some good to get drunk now and then; it certainly can’t hurt!

Funny about beer.  I like the smell of it.  Very enticing.  But I thoroughly dislike the taste of it.  Tastes like scrub soap - or how scrub soap smells anyway.  Now, wine is another story.  <G>

Thanks for the link.

I was going to comment about Stouts, Lambics, and Pale  Ales, but they seem to have all of the bases covered in the article.  Hazel might want to try a Lambic like Kreik Lambic (Cherry) or Framboise Lambic (Raspberry). They are good by themselves or with dessert.  I personally am fond of Guinness Stout but my all time favorite is Grolsch Lager, brewed with the same 4 ingredients since 1615.  Then there is Duvel beer, which is the strongest beer I know of at 9.5% alcohol.  It reminds me of a Heineken mixed with Everclear (grain alcohol).

Beer production apparently began about 5400 BC in Mesopotamia while Pulque production in Mesoamerica goes back at least 1000 years, but I am sure that further research in Mesoamerica will push that date back a few millennia.  Plenty of simple sugars all around the globe to make alkyhol including good old Appalachian Moonshine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_beer#Early_beers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulque

• 1 month later...