Science Forums

Space Travel - Denied

fahrquad

It appears that the human body does not like extended periods in space.  Unless these issues can be resolved interplanetary and interstellar travel are unlikely for human life.  As Judy Collins said "Send in the Drones".

lead_720_405.jpg?mod=1555014048

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/04/what-happens-human-body-space/586966/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

https://youtu.be/8L6KGuTr9TI

Edited by fahrquad

So I got the fake news.  Or did I?  The one I got said there was no change, no difference between the two.  I am not sure now from where it came but it did center around what it said NASA was reporting - that there was no change.  Both were still identical and Scott was as healthy as his brother.  There was a picture of the two and, to me, Scott looked older, more tired. 

Personally, I don't think it is a good idea for many of the reasons given in the article that you referenced.  It seems to me there are a lot of problems that need to be overcome first - if ever it is done.  The trip to Pern is still a long, long way off.

Thanks for your post.    At least Scott didn't come back younger than his brother - a constant claim I see made by armchair scientists.  Have we squelched that now?  Or wasn't the time long enough ?

Edited by hazelm

...Personally, I don't think it is a good idea for many of the reasons given in the article that you referenced.  It seems to me there are a lot of problems that need to be overcome first - if ever it is done.  The trip to Pern is still a long, long way off...

Couldn't you just ride your dragon?  Someone to keep you company on the long trip.

At least Scott didn't come back younger than his brother - a constant claim I see made by armchair scientists.  Have we squelched that now?  Or wasn't the time long enough ?

I think you have that wrong, Hazel. Scott did come back younger than his brother Mark. He was already six minutes younger by times of birth, but in space his telomeres lengthened in accordance with aging less by a very tiny amount of about 5 milliseconds. This is in accord with the predictions of Einstein’s relativity. Some scientists had predicted his telomeres would shorten and he would age more, due to the stress of being in space.

Edited by OceanBreeze

I think you have that wrong, Hazel. Scott did come back younger than his brother Mark. He was already six minutes younger by times of birth, but in space his telomeres lengthened in accordance with aging less by a very tiny amount of about 5 milliseconds. This is in accord with the predictions of Einstein’s relativity. Some scientists had predicted his telomeres would shorten and he would age more, due to the stress of being in space.

I stand corrected.  I did not see that.  And, by the way, how do they know how old a person is?  By measuring the telomeres?  Are those that accurate?  Or is it that they measured those before and after?  5 milliseconds?  Such a small time.  Well, never mind.  Probably the skeptic in me is over-reacting.  :-)

The interesting thing about this is the shortening and lengthening of telomeres is a chemical change, I don't think it was due to Einstein's Theory of Relativity that his telomeres experienced a chemical change as that would make a change of matter as result of time Dilation. However this is why the human body needs to be genetically engineered for Space Travel to remove the genetic side effects of being in zero G.

Edited by VictorMedvil

The interesting thing about this is the shortening and lengthening of telomeres is a chemical change, I don't think it was due to Einstein's Theory of Relativity that his telomeres experienced a chemical change as that would make a change of matter as result of time Dilation. However this is why the human body needs to be genetically engineered for Space Travel to remove the genetic side effects of being in zero G.

Makes sense to me.