Science Forums

3 Facts Maybe You Don't Know About Antimatter

alfa015

Hi! 

I would like to share with you guys some facts you might not know about antimatter:

1º - Recent studies suggest that an antimatter spacecraft could achieve up to 70% the speed of light, reaching Proxima b in just about 6 years.

2º - The maximum time that antimatter has been stored is 405 days.

3º - According to the former Fermilab physicist Gerald Jackson, antimatter rockets could become a reality by 2050.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIgpTrmKUZs&list=PL3RiFKfZj3ptaxqH3te_eKz1ge_CxQxjw&index=1

What are your thoughts about antimatter propulsion?

• 2 weeks later...

I think that antimatter Propulsion is wonderful, I have seen the Theoretical ideas for Antimatter Rockets and they look promising as soon as humanity is ready to begin exploring the other stars in the milky way I think they will be in usage for spacecraft that is if Warp Drive is not found for a way to travel faster than light first, but who says it won't be like Star Trek with antimatter powered Warp Spacecraft, but Antimatter containment will determine that If someone can find a way to contain antimatter forever that would greatly improve the usefulness of antimatter, but I think other plasma jet systems will be in place by the time that antimatter rockets roll of the assembly lines. The other problem with Antimatter is it doesn't exactly explode it releases gamma radiation or high energy particle so it would have to be used with a secondary propellant which it could heat to be turned into a antimatter rocket system.

1200px-Antimatter-Rocket.jpg

Edited by VictorMedvil