Science Forums

The Concept Of Mass

Moronium

I said before that an ether is not required for time to be absolute.  So what is required?

As a strictly theoretical matter, nothing beyond positing a single "preferred" frame which is deemed to be at rest/  Once you do that, time is absolute, as is motion, as is simultaneity.

What is required is for that particle to be traveling faster than the speed of light for time to be absolute, A goes to B goes to C , C back to A. Deductive reasoning, that particle moving relativistically thus time is relative too, sorry moronium I wish it wasn't so.

Edited by VictorMedvil

...like I said if it were something that were wrong we would have already breached the light barrier.

No, that's not necessarily true, and I think you just agreed to that.

I thought we agreed that, assuming that c cannot be exceeded in a given rest frame, that would not mean that c cannot be exceeded "in the universe," i.e. in other, moving, frames of reference.

No, that's not necessarily true, and I think you just agreed to that.

I thought we agreed that, assuming that c cannot be exceeded in a given rest frame, that would not mean that c cannot be exceeded "in the universe," i.e. in other, moving, frames of reference.

Does it matter I want to travel the stars, I don't care how.

What is required is for that particle to be traveling faster than the speed of light for time to be absolute, A goes to B goes to C , C back to A. Deductive reasoning, that particle moving relativistically thus time is relative too, sorry moronium I wish it wasn't so.

I don't follow your "logic" here at all, Vic.  What is "that particle?"  What are you even talking about?  The speed of light in a preferred frame, or what?

I don't follow your "logic" here at all, Vic.  What is "that particle?"  What are you even talking about?  The speed of light in a preferred frame, or what?

The Proton in the particle accelerator at 8 Tev is what I am talking about, read the previous posts.

Edited by VictorMedvil

Well, reading it more closely, maybe I do.  Are you just saying that IF a preferred frame were posited (thereby establishing a standard of absolute time), THEN c could (and would, depending on direction) exceed c in other frames?  I agree with that much.

Edited by Moronium

Well, reading it more closely, maybe I do.  Are you just saying that IF a preferred frame were posited (thereby establishing a standard of absolute time), THEN c could (an would, depending on direction) exceed c in other frames?  I agree with that much.

Exactly moronium spot on, thats why I wish you were right but it isn't the way the universe works.

Edited by VictorMedvil

Exactly moronium spot on, thats why I wish you were right but it isn't the way the universe works.

So you say.  You actually think the postulates of SR have been "proven," don't you?

It's not the way you ASSUME it works.  That's about all you can legitimately say about the matter.

Edited by Moronium

all I have to do is see the results of the particle acceleration tests to know relativity exists and is correct. 

You didn't even consider the posts I made after that, did you?

Again, let's assume that c cannot be exceeded IN A GIVEN REST FRAME.  That assumption would not "prove" SR.  But, yes, that assumption would preclude you from seeing a particle exceed c in your own frame.

They're two different things.

Edited by Moronium

You didn't even consider the posts I made after that, did you?

Again, let's assume that c cannot be exceeded IN A GIVEN REST FRAME.  That assumption would not "prove" SR.  But, yes, that assumption would preclude you from seeing a particle exceed c in your own frame.

I get what your saying but that is enough to prove relativity to me, that is all the matters about relativity in my opinion can you exceed the speed of light without exotic matter aka Negative Matter/Energy.

Edited by VictorMedvil

Victor,

"Nothing, besides that proven ideas and theories with evidence can lend to the argument that you are right by their merit and evidence."

As Pauli would say, "That's not even wrong."

Proves my point though how hopelessly faulty Einstein's theory is because it is based on that illogical precept.

As I recall, Vic, I made some posts, and asked you some questions, pertaining to this topic in another thread.  You never responded to them.  I even sent you a PM asking you if you had looked at my posts.  You never responded to that either.

Perhaps it would be more appropriate to continue this discussion in THAT thrread, eh?

I get what your saying but that is enough to prove relativity to me, 

Well, OK, Vic, but that's not really saying much.  You can take "no evidence" as "proof," if you so desire.  It doesn't take amy evidence to get a kid to believe in Santa Claus.  Of course it helps that he really wants to believe, to begin with.

Edited by Moronium

Well, OK, Vic, but that's not really saying much.  You can take "no evidence" as proof, if you so desire.  It doesn't take amy proof to get a kid to believe in Santa Claus.  Of course it helps that he really wants to believe.

Did you just not see me prove it with the particle accelerator example adding to what GAHD said.

Edited by VictorMedvil