Science Forums

Apple Trees Endangered

hazelm

Cruciferous vegetables are more prevalent in our diets than you think. Steamed broccoli is great with melted cheddar cheese, collards with ham is a traditional southern dish, steamed cauliflower with a little heavy cream pulverized in a food processor makes a passable low-carb substitute for mashed potatoes for Atkins Diet followers, bok choy is used heavily in Chinese food, arugula is in your salad mix and so is sliced radish, wasabi is a common condiment for Japanese food that should never be mistaken for guacamole, horseradish sauce goes good with roast beast, mustard seeds are ground to make the yellow stuff on your hot dog, canola oil was used to fry something you ate today with the previously mentioned cole slaw on the side, pickled red cabbage makes a nice side to pork chops, sauerkraut is served on hot dogs in some parts of the country, and pickled cabbage (red or white) is served with many German dishes.

"Traditional southern dishes".  But I've swear we never ever ate broccoli.  Never even heard of it.  Turnip greens, kale, cauliflower with butter or cheese - both good.  Turnips that were so unknown in northern states that they sold for 5 cents a pound - until K C Star published that they were good for us.  The price skyrocketed the same day.

Lemon  pies that were not 50% sugar.  My mother, born and bred in Florida, used to say - when Dad moved us north - "these Yankees use enough sugar in one lemon pie to  make six".   Still true today.

Broccoli?  Cruciferous?   BTW.  We're wandering off-topic.  Good memories, though.

I started this train wreck at post #11 with:

"This would be the worst possible time for a late freeze to damage the peach and apple crops although the strawberries and cole crops should do fine.  It is time to plant soybean, corn, and cotton and to start tomato plants in the greenhouse." 

It is still related to horticulture so I don't think it is too far afield off track.