Science Forums

Measuring Angles

hazelm

Is there a small instrument that you could lay on a map or any other page that has angled lines and make a fair estimate of the angle sizes?  Example:  Two streets cross each other but not at right angles.  We had occasion to wonder about this with two highways yesterday.  Would be nice to be able to lay an instrument on the map an get a close estimate.   Same with measuring steeples on tall buildings or -- whatever.  It would not give perfect angle measurements but close.

If there is such an instrument,  what would I ask for and where might I find one?  Thanks.

Is there a small instrument that you could lay on a map or any other page that has angled lines and make a fair estimate of the angle sizes?  Example:  Two streets cross each other but not at right angles.  We had occasion to wonder about this with two highways yesterday.  Would be nice to be able to lay an instrument on the map an get a close estimate.   Same with measuring steeples on tall buildings or -- whatever.  It would not give perfect angle measurements but close.

If there is such an instrument,  what would I ask for and where might I find one?  Thanks.

As far as maps go, sure there is.  As long as you're not talking about large distances (don't try using one on a globe). They're called protractors.  You can probably pick one up for about a quarter in the school supply section of Walmart.  You can also use them to create any predetermined angle you want to mess with.

Edited by Moronium

As far as maps go, sure there is.  As long as you're not talking about large distances (don't try using one on a globe). They're called protractors.  You can probably pick one up for about a quarter in the school supply section of Walmart.  You can also use them to create any predetermined angle you want to mess with.

Thank you.  I'll get one on my next visit to Walmart.