Science Forums

Suicide Versus Homicide

fahrquad

Our local TV news just announced that suicides now outnumber homicides by a rate of 2 to 1.  This left me pondering if suicides are a misdirected form of homicide or if homicides are a misdirected form of suicide.  In either event there is one dead body and a number of ruined lives in its wake.

I have no desire to commit suicide, but I think it is wrong to automatically assume that someone who wants to end their life is mentally ill and in need of intervention.  If I were terminally ill and not able to endure the pain any longer, I would like to have the option to die with some degree of dignity, and at the time and in the manner of my choosing.

I really don't understand what the big deal is about death.  There was nothing special about the first two times I died.  No, that is not a typo.  Once in the ambulance in front of my house and once in the emergency room.  No bright lights and angels, no dearly departed family and friends, and no brimstone and demons.  Just fading into darkness and unconsciousness.  BTW, getting zapped with a defibrillator hurts like a sunnovabeyotch.  Next time just let me sleep.  :rip:

The high rate of suicide has always perplexed me. Not for the fact that some people encounter things in their life that force them to it or they suffer from some form of depression, but because so many people believe in religions. Religions not only telling them it is wrong, but also telling them that they will be condemned to eternal misery in hell if they go through with it.

So if they really believe their faith, they are essentially betting that whatever awaits them in hell will be less painful than the pain their in while their alive.

That's a serious bet for believers. One I'm surprised many religious people are willing to take, but who knows what is going through a persons mind when they reach that point.

A line from the movie "Michael Clayton" referring to suicide and asking why......."because people are incomprehensible."

Our local TV news just announced that suicides now outnumber homicides by a rate of 2 to 1.  This left me pondering if suicides are a misdirected form of homicide or if homicides are a misdirected form of suicide.  In either event there is one dead body and a number of ruined lives in its wake.

The local Faux Snooze affiliate mentioned the suicide rate again.  I did hear this time that the 2:1 ration was for suicides/homicides across the state (of SC).  No mention was made of national statistics.  These guys must not have anything to report if they have to recycle old stories to fill air time.

• 3 weeks later...

Dealing with stressful people all day?

Dealing with stupid people all day?

Dealing with god worshiping idiots all day?

Over medication?

Because they're stuck with being American?

Some valid ideas! But I don't accept the 'stressful' and 'stupid' people answers. It would be saying that Americans are stressful and stupid people. The former, I can't relate to so I'll ask. The latter I can accept is a cause to a degree but not substantially. It's been proven that Americans are 'stupid' to a degree but not stupid enough to be causing an elevated suicide rate. Yes/No?

Dealing with religion's influence could be a factor. Can you explain further? My immediate reaction would be that others can gain some enjoyment out of playing them.

Over medication would be unquestionably correct IMO.

Being stuck with being American I accept, but requires further explanation, as in dealing with one's  feelings of guilt. 

And above all, dealing with the failure of the American way which is now proving to be a lie. (The world's happiest countries!) 

Can Moronium be hooked into playing on this topic too?

Edited by montgomery

Some valid ideas! But I don't accept the 'stressful' and 'stupid' people answers. It would be saying that Americans are stressful and stupid people. The former, I can't relate to so I'll ask. The latter I can accept is a cause to a degree but not substantially. It's been proven that Americans are 'stupid' to a degree but not stupid enough to be causing an elevated suicide rate. Yes/No?

How many USians have you actually spoken to? I'd be surprised if half of those suicides weren't accidental.

Not that all of them are arrogant loud mouthed dumbarses, just a vastly disproportionate number compared to everywhere else and they tend to make the most noise so they're hard to ignore, even online.

Dealing with religion's influence could be a factor. Can you explain further? My immediate reaction would be that others can gain some enjoyment out of playing them.

They can be a lot of fun online but you haven't got to live with them. They're everywhere over there.

Being stuck with being American I accept, but requires further explanation, as in dealing with one's  feelings of guilt.

As in 'Oh no, I'm a fat brainless useless fcuktard with a silly accent whose country is just as bad as Israel and is finally on it's way up the shiitter.'

Edited by A-wal

• 1 month later...

Guyana tops the list at 30.2 per 100,000 and Barbados is number 183 at 0.4 per 100,000.  I assumed the Netherlands were ranked higher based on past news reports (and the cold and dark winters), but they are ranked at number 81 with 9.6 per 100,000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

Just a casual observation, but it appears to me that suicide rates are lower in the equatorial region.  Then again my personal belief is that hours of daylight influence mood and that short days lead to depression and suicide.  Obviously I have not seen any research to prove or disapprove that premise.