Science Forums

Climate Rewind

hazelm

I didn't realize you had to  do that.  I've never heard anyone even talk about it.  

As for burning coal, all I can say is "you'll be sorry". 

We don't burn coal in this part of the country (upstate SC).  Electricity here comes from hydroelectric, nuclear, and natural gas.  I think the nearest coal mine is over 600 miles away and shipping by rail ain't cheap. 

ADD:  There are no railroad tracks crossing the Eastern Continental Divide, which we butt up against.  Any coal trains would have run along the coastal plains then run back up this way through the midlands. 

Edited by fahrquad

We don't burn coal in this part of the country (upstate SC).  Electricity here comes from hydroelectric, nuclear, and natural gas.  I think the nearest coal mine is over 600 miles away and shipping by rail ain't cheap. 

Our electric company  (power and light in the old vernacular) is still burning coal.  After years of harassment about it, they have finally announced that they will be phasing out the coal burning operations. 

I don't think so.  I'm guessing based on a story about  post WW II.  The story said there are tons of old war machines in the Gulf of Mexico.  The army didn't know what to do with them.  So, dumped them in the Gulf.  They do make nice nesting grounds for fish, I've read.  Anyway,  I doubt we'd do that today.  Maybe we have grown a tad wiser.  Maybe

There is also this.  In Saint Louis, citizens are warned not to swim in the Mississippi River because of its pollution.  Yet they take their drinking water from same river. 

So, no, I'd guess we didn't have very good regulations back then.

The Clean Water Act passed into law in 1972 as a result of the Cuyahoga River catching fire and burning (again).

https://youtu.be/_Y0mskbIxRQ?t=54

Someone's video set to the REM song.

https://youtu.be/XdC6thlCAlI?t=69

https://www.epa.gov/laws-regulations/history-clean-water-act

If we burn coal to produce energy, where will the energy come from to turn the carbon back to coal?  If we had that surplus energy then we could use it instead of coal and the plants would eventually sequester the surplus carbon.   

We can all do little things to decrease our energy consumption and use of fossil fuels.  Here is a suggestion to improve energy efficiency in your car. 

tumblr_inline_p5c1vru8hh1r09riw_500.jpg

This idea has potential for eliminating a good part of Trump's base. Or at least keeping them busy with something other than politics. You're useful for something fahrquad.

This idea has potential for eliminating a good part of Trump's base. Or at least keeping them busy with something other than politics. You're useful for something fahrquad.

You sure it isn't the blue states where they don't know how to do car maintenance themselves? I tend to think the repubes know a thing or two 'bout mechanics...

If we burn coal to produce energy, where will the energy come from to turn the carbon back to coal?  If we had that surplus energy then we could use it instead of coal and the plants would eventually sequester the surplus carbon.   

We can all do little things to decrease our energy consumption and use of fossil fuels.  Here is a suggestion to improve energy efficiency in your car. 

tumblr_inline_p5c1vru8hh1r09riw_500.jpg

:lol: :thumbsup:

I don't think so.  I'm guessing based on a story about  post WW II.  The story said there are tons of old war machines in the Gulf of Mexico.  The army didn't know what to do with them.  So, dumped them in the Gulf.  They do make nice nesting grounds for fish, I've read.  Anyway,  I doubt we'd do that today.  Maybe we have grown a tad wiser.  Maybe

There is also this.  In Saint Louis, citizens are warned not to swim in the Mississippi River because of its pollution.  Yet they take their drinking water from same river. 

So, no, I'd guess we didn't have very good regulations back then.

Unlike the Caribbean where there are abundant coral reefs, there is very little cover for fish in the Gulf of Mexico.   I believe the only exception is the "Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary" located 100 miles off the coast of Galveston.  I am a bit puzzled about that since maritime jurisdiction generally extends only 3 miles off shore before running into international waters.  Other than the Flower Garden, the Gulf is pretty much a barren wasteland, biologically speaking.

Western-Gulf-of-Mexico-and-the-location-

flower-garden.jpg

I would have liked to dive there, but we weren't in Texas long enough (plus I haven't got around to getting my SCUBA certification yet). 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flower_Garden_Banks_National_Marine_Sanctuary

The wife and I went to Paradise Island, Bahamas (across from the capital city of Nassau) for a few days then hopped over to the sparsely populated Eleuthera Island during our honeymoon in 1999.  We have been back to Eleuthera 2 times since then and the last time there I noticed substantial coral bleaching and a huge decrease in flora and fauna due to temperature increases in the water, and of course warmer water holds less dissolved oxygen. International travel has become an expensive nuisance since our last trip, so I have been trying to limit us to domestic travel, but that doesn't leave many possibilities for an amateur diver.  

I recommend that all Trump supporters warm up their SUV's in the garage.  I suggest keeping the garage doors closed and revving the engine to heat them up quicker.  You can listen to Rush Limberger and drink your half-caf vanilla mochachino's while you breathe deeply of the healthful aromas.   :spiteful:

Common sense post:  "Don't drink well water near a landfill."

Flummoxed, on 28 Feb 2019 - 10:03 AM, said:snapback.png

...Solar power generation does not have to be about building walls  :(  but it could be a start and bring down the cost of solar generation   :shocked: However it is probably better to place solar panels where the neighbours are not going to throw stones at them.   :innocent:

Edit link https://solarlove.or...d-solar-energy/

The roof on the back of my house is well situated for solar (photo-voltaic) power, and I got a quote from the utility company's suggested supplier a few months back.  The net metering array he proposed would require over $3000 out of pocket and would not have eliminated our small electric bill.  I may check out a bigger array with other suppliers some time soon after (Chinese) panels get even cheaper.  Keep that child labor going!!! 

:whp-pssh: