https://phys.org/new...=daily-nwletter

#2 hazelm

hazelm

Creating

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1003 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 07:22 AM

I am so glad you posted that.  I have been saying I never knew grapes could be microwaved.  I can't even imagine why anyone would microwave grapes.  Thanks.  Next?

#3 Flummoxed

Flummoxed

Explaining

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:50 AM

I am so glad you posted that.  I have been saying I never knew grapes could be microwaved.  I can't even imagine why anyone would microwave grapes.  Thanks.  Next?

I was looking to see if any other fruit did the same thing in a microwave and found this instead, you can speed up the ripening process of fruit in a microwave.

"Fruits and vegetables produce ethylene gas as they ripen. Certain fruits such as bananas and apples give off greater amounts of ethylene gas. Exposing unripe fruit to ripe fruit increases the unripe fruit's exposure to ethylene gas to speed up the process. Combining ethylene gas with the heat from a microwave helps kickstart the process." 

I wonder how long an unripe lemon my take :)

#4 hazelm

hazelm

Creating

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1003 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:53 AM

I was looking to see if any other fruit did the same thing in a microwave and found this instead, you can speed up the ripening process of fruit in a microwave.

"Fruits and vegetables produce ethylene gas as they ripen. Certain fruits such as bananas and apples give off greater amounts of ethylene gas. Exposing unripe fruit to ripe fruit increases the unripe fruit's exposure to ethylene gas to speed up the process. Combining ethylene gas with the heat from a microwave helps kickstart the process." 

I wonder how long an unripe lemon my take :)

Hmmmmm.   OK.  Considering what grocery stores sell as bananas,  I see the point.  But I'd just as soon let nature take its course. 

Pondering:  Why am I recalling how we have speeded up the maturing or our children?  Dating parties for five year olds.

My mind is all over the place with this.  I'd best withdraw to my corner.  Thanks for the explanation as to what happens anyway.

#5 Flummoxed

Flummoxed

Explaining

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:32 AM

Hmmmmm.   OK.  Considering what grocery stores sell as bananas,  I see the point.  But I'd just as soon let nature take its course. 

Pondering:  Why am I recalling how we have speeded up the maturing or our children?  Dating parties for five year olds.

My mind is all over the place with this.  I'd best withdraw to my corner.  Thanks for the explanation as to what happens anyway.

Dont put the five year olds in a microwave  :shocked:  there mums wont like it.  :innocent:

#6 hazelm

hazelm

Creating

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1003 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:28 AM

Dont put the five year olds in a microwave  :shocked:  there mums wont like it.  :innocent:

I promise.   Also not putting my grapes in a microwave.   Inasmuch as I do not even own one of those gadgets...