Science Forums

Chickenpox-Hiv Vaccine

Vmedvil2

• 4 weeks later...

The next thing that comes to my mind is also HIV testing. Increasing testing frequency in some countries has the largest impact, with about 15% reduction in HIV infections over 10 years. I'm deeply concerned about the HIV topic because statistics show that 1.4 mln of people in Eastern Europe (especially) and Asia live with HIV. And this indicator rises every year for 130 000 people. That's huge!

One could argue that disease is nature's way of holding a population in check.  If this is the case, then HIV has only been minimally effective, with a 50% mortality rate so far in those infected (as noted in the post above).  Ebola has a greater virulence and lethality rate but seems to burn through a population quickly leaving no one to infect.  From that perspective Ebola is a wildfire while HIV is a slow burn. 

While HIV has been most prevalent in homosexual and IV drug user populations in the western world, we need to remember that it is mainly transmitted heterosexually in the rest of the world.  IMHO, the disdain of the heterosexual population in the western world for homosexuals and IV drug users has lead to complacency regarding HIV.  In some cases HIV is almost welcomed as God's judgement against the morally bankrupt.

Screening of blood donors has definitely helped to safeguard the blood supply.  Lord knows my blood has been tested enough in the 80-ish donations I have made over the last 30 years.  Accidental transmission by way of blood transfusion or organ transplant has dropped dramatically, although needle sticks by health care professionals is still a valid concern.  While reasonable precautions have slowed the spread of the disease, a safe and effective vaccine seems to be the only way to stop this scourge.