Science Forums

Relativity And Simple Algebra

ralfcis

Usually forum hyenas scatter when you get support but it more seemed to enrage Amp which is also good.

I, of course, did not show any rage toward anyone. I merely pointed the interlocutor to the correct response to his confusion, in the hope of clearing it up.

I did take note of the fact that one of the responders in question did congratulate you for being a "gentleman," and took others to task for something or other. I think anyone who scrolls back through your rubbishy thread wlll find that you have personally attacked and insulted every single person who has engaged with you, and only AFTER that did people respond to your hyena tantrums.

It is interesting to note, in another thread, that an admin explained that insults were not to be tolerated here, which is why he suspended someone for two weeks. I wonder why your insults toward others are tolerated.

And, no, dummy, Polaris is not north of the North Pole :lol:

The rest of your rubbish is not worth responding to.

Just a side note on what a BA in physics is, at one university.

At Oxford, at least, BA is the initial qualification from the 3yr physics course. The reason is that the old Master of Arts denoted what since mediaeval times have been described as the Arts, which meant the disciplines other than those towards which the university was originally geared (in the time of King John). These were, if my memory serves, theology or divinity, medicine, music and philosophy. So Arts does not mean "arts" as opposed to "sciences". 

The physics BA degree at Oxford is highly mathematical, by the way. My girlfriend at the time was a physics undergraduate. The maths she needed was considerably more extensive than we needed for chemistry. :)

Edited by exchemist

I see this definition in your posting:

"The program helps students understand the basic laws of the physical world combined with a broad knowledge of liberal arts."

Yes I agree, I have personally attacked and blah blah blah whatever else you said. I don't hound people from forum to forum like you do Dave. 

Edited by ralfcis

Just a side note on what a BA in physics is, at one university.

At Oxford, at least, BA is the initial qualification from the 3yr physics course. The reason is that the old Master of Arts denoted what since mediaeval times have been described as the Arts, which meant the disciplines other than those towards which the university was originally geared (in the time of King John). These were, if my memory serves, theology or divinity, medicine, music and philosophy. So Arts does not mean "arts" as opposed to "sciences". 

The physics BA degree at Oxford is highly mathematical, by the way. My girlfriend at the time was a physics undergraduate. The maths she needed was considerably more extensive than we needed for chemistry. :)

I can already tell this is a lie, There are no girls in physics, like on the internet girls are just a rumor, stop spreading lies about this physics girlfriend which is a impossibility are you sure it wasn't a man dressed as a woman?  :nahnahbooboo:

Edited by VictorMedvil

I see this definition in your posting:

"The program helps students understand the basic laws of the physical world combined with a broad knowledge of liberal arts."

Yes I agree, I have personally attacked and blah blah blah whatever else you said. I don't hound people from forum to forum like you do Dave. 

Yes, and you claimed that this degree is obtained without math. Which is wrong. So you either did not know what you are talking about, or you lied, and lack the simple honesty to either admit your mistake, or admit that you lied.

Nobody hounds you, and I have not followed you from forum to forum. In fact, practically no one responds to your crap at all. I only check in on occasion to see what new whopper you've told, like idiotically claiming that Polaris is north of the North Pole, or denying the invariance of light speed in all inertial frames, including those traveling near c. It is to laugh! :lol:

I must also point out that your attack on the person to whom I linked, who has a BA in physics from Indiana University, was both ad hominem and a subset of ad hom, called poisoning the well. It is what people like you do.

Notwithstanding your admission (only since you’ve been cornered) that you are wrong, even IF it were true that a BA in physics does not require advanced math (and it is NOT true, as you have now admitted), it does NOT follow that his argument is WRONG — it is NOT wrong. It is absolutely, 100 percent correct. It is perfectly possible for someone to make a correct argument, while having no academic credentials in the relevant field whatsoever. 

Your opening, well-poisoning salvo, was that because the poster lacked the relevant credentials (even though he DOES have them), then his argument must be wrong. This is classic ad hom, and you do this here, all the time.

As it happens, though, the person whom you attacked DOES have the relevant academic qualifications, making your ad hom and well-poisoning doubly reprehensible, and reflecting poorly on no one except you.

I can already tell this is a lie, There are no girls in physics, like on the internet girls are just a rumor, stop spreading lies about this physics girlfriend which is a impossibility are you sure it wasn't a man dressed as a woman?  :nahnahbooboo:

Haha. In fact she is now married to an old friend of mine - another chemist from my college - and lives in Derbyshire. I visited them a couple of months ago. :). But there were not very many girls studying physics in those days, it is true. Or chemistry. 

I ended up marrying, many years later, a French engineer, but who was really a mathematician and had done a doctorate at MIT on waves. What she really liked in life was a good partial differential equation. In between there was a refinery technologist at Shell, who was a chemical engineer. Evidently I like mathematical women.   

Edited by exchemist

Haha. In fact she is now married to an old friend of mine - another chemist from my college - and lives in Derbyshire. I visited them a couple of months ago. :). But there were not very many girls studying physics in those days, it is true. Or chemistry. 

Lol, ya man there still aren't very many science girls, they are like a unicorn or something out of legends.

So now it's an "admission," in square quotes. Are you claiming you were being sarcastic?

Except that you claimed there was NO MATH involved with obtaining a BA in physics. I have looked up the math requirements for a BA in physics at Indiana U, the alma mater of the expert that you ad hommed. They are quite extensive. So once again, you are either lying, or ignorant. I'm pretty sure anyone reading with an open mind can tell which you are.

All of this, of course, is tangential to the point that the person's explanation of what happens when you shine a flashlight at near c is absolutely correct in every detail. Nor, I think, does he believe that Polaris is "north of the North Pole." :lol:

Edited by Amplituhedron

This is what I said:

science was called natural philosophy but no, a BA in Physics is an actual degree in philosophy i.e. science without the math.``

Philosophy = science minus math. I said that somewhere previously. I can look it up if you want. 

So yes, by the transitive property, if philosophy is a subset of an arts degree then an arts degree can be science without the math. In this case the math courses pointed to Newtonian physics since they`re all calculus courses which was invented by Newton. But the context of my criticism was relativistic physics and you have failed to show there were any courses specific to relativistic math. I agree that probably there were but to what level. His article showed no dependence on the math and more dependence on parroting Einstein which brings to mind another math equation:

Philosophy = parroting minus context. QED

PS Does this mean you`re going to keep parroting your points over and over because repetition is an indication of stress. You seem a little stressed.

"It was a perfect explanation, he explained it perfectly." Sound familiar?

Edited by ralfcis

So now it's an "admission," in square quotes. Are you claiming you were being sarcastic?

Except that you claimed there was NO MATH involved with obtaining a BA in physics. I have looked up the math requirements for a BA in physics at Indiana U, the alma mater of the expert that you ad hommed. They are quite extensive. So once again, you are either lying, or ignorant. I'm pretty sure anyone reading with an open mind can tell which you are.

All of this, of course, is tangential to the point that the person's explanation of what happens when you shine a flashlight at near c is absolutely correct in every detail. Nor, I think, does he believe that Polaris is "north of the North Pole." :lol:

Yup. And here are the entry requirements and a description of the course  for the BA in physics at Oxford: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/physics

The whole course is mathematical.