3 replies to this topic

#1 VictorMedvil

VictorMedvil

The Human Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2835 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:23 PM

This is a warning to all that would work with Nanotechnology about the grey goo scenario "Ecophagy or Ecocide" , meaning the consumption of the environment, It has been experimentally shown that invasive species in nature can greatly effect and displace other species that are less evolved for survival. The same is true if you use Hostile Nano-Machines which can displace harmless less hostile Nano-machines which naturally occur such as harmless or weaker bacteria and viruses. The Threat of Grey goo is a major one with nanotechnology and could be more a problem in the future which is why proper Bio-containment/Nano-containment protocols should be maintained at all times when working with Nano-technological devices and Biological Vectors. The problem of ecocide is not a new one as sometimes invasive species kill the species in a area like Hawaiian native plants are displaced by foreign plants which via natural selection are deemed weaker in that environment being isolated to a small island. The same is true if you use something that is highly evolved to survive like a Synthetic Biological weapon or Nano-technological Weapon it would greatly displace the natural micro-organisms and could spark hostile evolution of them making them more invasive to plants and animals, let this be a warning about Ecocide and Ecophagy to anyone that may create a Invasive species of Nano-machine. Worst case scenario is you kill everything on the planet by accident besides your Nano-machine, remember that and be careful when working with self-replicating devices.

gray-goo-diagram.gif

Grey-Goo.jpg

Edited by VictorMedvil, 05 February 2019 - 08:39 PM.

#2 VictorMedvil

VictorMedvil

The Human Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2835 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 03:56 PM

The Dark Prophecy of Coronavirus!  You said I was mad but I told you!

Edited by VictorMedvil, 30 July 2020 - 03:56 PM.

#3 Racoon

Racoon

Politically Incorrect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3810 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 11:02 PM

Interesting....

self replicating nano devices.. unlike those pesky little black ants that storm the kitchen during summer that I can just poison...

My only posit is would they be able to forage the organic materials sufficiently?

and how would the conversion of resources to reproduction occur?? 

#4 VictorMedvil

VictorMedvil

The Human Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2835 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 03:27 PM

Interesting....

self replicating nano devices.. unlike those pesky little black ants that storm the kitchen during summer that I can just poison...

My only posit is would they be able to forage the organic materials sufficiently?

and how would the conversion of resources to reproduction occur?? 

Well for Non-organic nano-machines, it would be a element on the design process, basically however chemistry allows such as in the (http://www.sciencefo...tories-discuss/) thread is a design for a self replicating machine. However it depends on the organic structure you design it based on it could act like a virus and hijack the self replicating processes and metabolism from another organism making proteins that propagate it. This thread applies to any self replicating nano device that could be natural,synthetic, or artificial that has the ability to displace species by overcoming their defenses against it. That's why it is the Dark Prophecy of COVID19 because it falls under that category whether it be synthetic or natural. 

For Dramatic Effect: The Animatrix Operation Dark Storm

Edited by VictorMedvil, 08 August 2020 - 05:18 PM.