Science Forums

The Electron Cloud

petrushkagoogol

Is the electron cloud an offshoot of the mathematics of

Infinities ?

I looked up electron cloud, and it references electron orbitals. The electric potential energy represents infinity yes. It is the amount of energy of pushing the charge from it's position in the calculation out to a distance of infinity where the energy equals zero. But you weren't clear as to what you meant. So in a way the binding energies of the electron cloud represents infinities.

I looked up electron cloud, and it references electron orbitals. The electric potential energy represents infinity yes. It is the amount of energy of pushing the charge from it's position in the calculation out to a distance of infinity where the energy equals zero. But you weren't clear as to what you meant. So in a way the binding energies of the electron cloud represents infinities.

Well done for finding a constructive way to reply to the question! Though I wouldn't say this really comes from "the mathematics of infinities", unless you define that term to encompass calculus. :) 

There is a difference between a probability field, and a quantum field in distinct ways. You need a probability field to explain why an electron cannot fall into a nucleus. This is all you need when you talk about electron clouds.

Since energy of an electron is quantized, and a continuous energy distribution is manifested as an energy field, each suborbital s,p,d and f could be visualized as such (adhering to the principles of QM).

Am I correct ?

There is a difference between a probability field, and a quantum field in distinct ways. You need a probability field to explain why an electron cannot fall into a nucleus. This is all you need when you talk about electron clouds.

Since energy of an electron is quantized, and a continuous energy distribution is manifested as an energy field, each suborbital s,p,d and f could be visualized as such (adhering to the principles of QM).

Am I correct ?

Could we have the concept of a quantized electric field, where charge and momentum determine the need for a cloud type probability distribution, rather than particles with rest mass and no charge, predicted by Uncertainty Principle ?

Edited by petrushkagoogol