21 replies to this topic

#18 exchemist

exchemist

Creating

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2841 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 09:07 AM

He has his own website https://www.markushanke.net/ is this the right guy ?

Yup that's him. Well spotted!

I thoroughly recommend him as a tutor in GR and related matters. He is also very patient in explaining things to people who have not been taught it. I think he is in Ireland and may be, or have been, a Buddhist monk, or something. Interesting bloke, anyway.

#19 Moronium

Moronium

Creating

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2894 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 06:01 PM

General Relativity reduces to SR when no gravitational masses are present...

Not that it's all that relevant to this discussion, but this is a controversial claim that Einstein himself later appeared to reject.

Many theorists argue that GR does not, and cannot, "reduce to SR."  They argue that the curved spacetime of GR is utterly incompatible with the flat spacetime of SR.

In his later years Einstein declared that it was unwarranted and totally "unjustified" for him to attempt to build GR "on top of SR."

Edited by Moronium, 03 February 2019 - 07:35 PM.

#20 Moronium

Moronium

Creating

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2894 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 11:06 PM

Not that it's all that relevant to this discussion, but this is a controversial claim that Einstein himself later appeared to reject.  Many theorists argue that GR does not, and cannot, "reduce to SR."

See, for example:

May, 2017

The relationship between special relativity and gravitational theory has never been entirely straightforward. After designing the 1916 general theory of relativity to reduce to the existing 1905 “special” theory as a limiting case,  Einstein wrote in 1950 that he no longer believed this approach to be legitimate.

And in 1960 we discovered a fundamental geometrical conflict between special relativity and the general principle of relativity applied to rotation, the community's response being to give SR priority, and downgrade the GPoR from a rule to a guideline that was to be suspended whenever it threatened to disagree with SR-based arguments. We then found in the 1970s that the resulting SR-centric theory refused to mesh with quantum mechanics and with basic statistical laws, apparently as a result of the SR component.

To these difficulties we will now add an even more fundamental problem:....At this point, the only remaining defence of special relativity would seem to be that if these GEM effects really are incompatible with SR, then since SR cannot be wrong, the effects cannot exist, on principle. This is perhaps more of a defensive “theological” position than an investigative and scientifically-minded one....

In conclusion: A fully-functional general theory of relativity, or any other fully consistent gravitational model, cannot and should not include a reduction to the flat-spacetime equations of the 1905 theory.

https://www.research..._and_special_re

"This is perhaps more of a defensive “theological” position than an investigative and scientifically-minded one."  Perhaps?  Well, I guess that's a polite way of putting it, eh?

Edited by Moronium, 03 February 2019 - 11:22 PM.

• Flummoxed likes this

#21 Flummoxed

Flummoxed

Explaining

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 03:38 AM

See, for example:

https://www.research..._and_special_re

"This is perhaps more of a defensive “theological” position than an investigative and scientifically-minded one."  Perhaps?  Well, I guess that's a polite way of putting it, eh?

I do not subscribe to research gate but the abstracts of those links are interesting, and I think give more weight to ideas based around MOND and emergent gravity.  

#22 marcospolo

marcospolo

Explaining

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 02:27 PM

Dark Energy and Dark Matter are the same as Black Holes, mathematical fudges to a erroneous theory about the universe.

You can ignore such things.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astronomy Dark Energy, Particle Physics