Photo
- - - - -

Why Is It Necessary To Have A Backflow Prevention System In Place?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 coppers

coppers

Thinking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 01:38 PM

Why is it necessary to have a backflow prevention system in place?

#2 GAHD

GAHD

Eldritch Horror

• Administrators
  • 2637 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 05:14 PM

For sewers I assume? When the city boys (or pump-truck for the boonies/septic fields) clean out the main line, if there's no backflow check valve you can litterally have a hundred or so cubic feet of excrement shoved back up the pipe. So, whatever is the lowest opening on the stack will quite quickly become a place you do not wanna be around. EG a slop/wash sink in the basement.

I had that happen to me, not fun. In my case the guy that had cleared out my line of root growth and such probably busted the valve while they were cleaning it. There are older homes with bad plumbing that don't have 'em though, usually not an issue if the stack goes at least 4-6 feet above ground before it's first service connection IIRC.

#3 Flummoxed

Flummoxed

Explaining

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 09:08 AM

For sewers I assume? When the city boys (or pump-truck for the boonies/septic fields) clean out the main line, if there's no backflow check valve you can litterally have a hundred or so cubic feet of excrement shoved back up the pipe. So, whatever is the lowest opening on the stack will quite quickly become a place you do not wanna be around. EG a slop/wash sink in the basement.

I had that happen to me, not fun. In my case the guy that had cleared out my line of root growth and such probably busted the valve while they were cleaning it. There are older homes with bad plumbing that don't have 'em though, usually not an issue if the stack goes at least 4-6 feet above ground before it's first service connection IIRC.

Yeap back flow can cause all sorts of ****  wastage to happen appear https://en.wikipedia...evention_device

#4 Cezarr99

Cezarr99

Curious

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 01:08 PM

A backflow prevention system is necessary to protect the main water supply from cross-contamination due to backflow, which may expose people to serious health risks. Therefore, it is advisable to invest in backflow prevention(check this info like example) to prevent dirty water from flowing backwards to main water supply. 

#5 noeli

noeli

Curious

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 01:22 PM

A backflow prevention system is necessary to protect the main water supply from cross-contamination due to mega moolah slots , which may expose people to serious health risks. Therefore, it is advisable to invest in backflow prevention(check this info like example) to prevent dirty water from flowing backwards to main water supply. 

Thanks for the link!

Edited by noeli, 30 January 2019 - 06:45 AM.

#6 Deepwater6

Deepwater6

Explaining

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 07:55 PM

The problems aren't so much a homeowner reversing flow on Draino do it yourself project, it's the industrial factory reversals that can really make life interesting, but hey- what's the chances of that happening? In my part of the world it's a law to have BFP's get inspected once a year. If local corporate America remembers.