Science Forums

"new Math"

hazelm

If you like Physics - and especially if you like the challenge of mathematics in physics - there is an excellently-written article in January 2019 issue of Scientific American by Matthew von Hippel.  Title:  "The Particle Code".  All about what is called "amplitudeology":  Scientists are designing new mathematical techniques for dealing with  more difficult questions and finding new phenomena at the Large Hadron Collider. 

What makes it so well-written is that, while being quite technical, it is understandable to those not educated in physics.  They may not be able to do the actual math but the author describes things in a way that still makes what they are doing quite clear.

And, of course, if you are a physicist with a PhD in math - have fun.  You might want to join the challenge. :spin:

• 2 weeks later...

I am guessing you are talking about this article from the American Mathematics Society http://www.ams.org/news?news_id=4831 There is a link to the scientific american at the bottom of the page, but the web site is down for maintenance.

No, not really.  Matthew himself wrote the Scientific American article.  And it is not an interview.  However, there is some repetition in  Rachel Crowell's interview.  And he does tell in his article how he got started.  Notice at the end of the interview that there is a reference to the Scientific American article, The Particle Code.

As for reading it, I just remembered something.  If the rules are the same, you cannot read the current issue online unless you are a paid subscriber.   Try again in February.  I am no longer a paid subscriber.  So, I may be wrong about this.