Science Forums

Electricity-Producing Bacteria

hazelm

So, in the future, will we be flipping on the Bacteria after dark?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/01/190111143740.htm

This really is stretching my imagination. 

I was not aware of this. Having researched it a bit more, it does appear there are some bacteria that are capable of transferring electrons to an electrode (anode)  and thereby generating a voltage and participating in an electrochemical cell. Fuel cells powered by bacterial action could be possible in principle.

However I have not seen anything suggesting this could generate electricity on a commercial scale.

I was not aware of this. Having researched it a bit more, it does appear there are some bacteria that are capable of transferring electrons to an electrode (anode)  and thereby generating a voltage and participating in an electrochemical cell. Fuel cells powered by bacterial action could be possible in principle.

However I have not seen anything suggesting this could generate electricity on a commercial scale.

Even that is stretching my imagination.  Leave the little critters alone to enjoy shocking each other.  :eek: