Science Forums

Slight Weight Loss at Moment of Death!?? WHats that?!?

ibking

I read somewhere that the body undergoes a slight weight loss at the moment of death. Some accord this with the leaving of the soul, other say there is no real explanation. Has anyone else heard of this, and if so, are you aware of any links on the web regarding this phenomenon?

Thank you... Brian

Well, its certainly a more testable hypothesis than trying to count the number of angels that can dance on the head of a pin, but I suspect that any rigorous testing would be in direct conflict with the Hippocratic Oath, and no doctor would countenance that (except maybe for Dr. Mengele, whose work may have been the source of any "data" that anyone might have)... :)

It would probably require immersing the person in a fluid so that the mass and not just the weight of the body could be measured, and it would have to be adjusted for the cessation of fluid functions such as circulation which generate pressure and could affect the measurements...and then of course just sitting there watching and waiting for them die. Sounds delightful.

Cheers,

Buffy

A pretty extensive article can be found at http://www.snopes.com/religion/soulweight.asp. Snopes and similar sites are usually pretty good sources for digested research on this sort of question.

Creating a scale to give a very precise weight of a living (or, I would presume, dieing) human being in open air is challenging. Normal lung dynamics result in about +-5 g of mass loss, not including the jet effects around the nose and mouth. Blood flow is irregular, and involves a large mass moving surprisingly fast. Small, involuntary musculoskeletal movement can cause forces in the kilo-newton range.

To have any hope of measuring the famous “21 grams”, I believe you’d need to have the dieing patient in a sealed chamber with all their breathing gasses and fluids, and take many closely-timed weighs of the whole chamber with a few grams precision.

However its done, It’s a daunting and expensive-sounding bit of engineering that I don’t believe MacDougall accomplished in his 1907 experiment.

If you had the apparatus, I doubt you’d have any ethical problems using it – plenty of terminally ill people don’t need much medical care, and would volunteer “to die for” science. You could probably get the Randi Foundation to send observers, though I wouldn’t count on winning the $1,000,000.

Lossing weight when u die! wow...I wouldn't make this into a BIG deal...you never know what type of teen is reading this trying to lose a few pounds....:evil:
...and if it caused an increase in height we'd have several members here who I'm sure would try it as well...

Cheers,

Buffy