Science Forums

Is The Photon Really An Elementary Particle?

uservt2018

Just wondering what happens to a photon inside a black hole.

Let's say that the hole sucks basically light.

And after emiting black hole radiation it vanishes.

Light would become such radiation, which is not light, we are sure about it because of course we can't see it. If it was light it would be seen.

So it's another kind of radiation. Would it be something smaller than photons? Since it's getting out of the black hole... and the photons are entering it... and photons can't get out... maybe the photons break when enter the hole and become something else.

Opinions?

Just wondering what happens to a photon inside a black hole.

Let's say that the hole sucks basically light.

And after emiting black hole radiation it vanishes.

Light would become such radiation, which is not light, we are sure about it because of course we can't see it. If it was light it would be seen.

So it's another kind of radiation. Would it be something smaller than photons? Since it's getting out of the black hole... and the photons are entering it... and photons can't get out... maybe the photons break when enter the hole and become something else.

Opinions?

This is a misunderstanding. All electromagnetic radiation is quantised and therefore consists of photons. The photon is the fundamental unit of quantisation of EM radiation and in this sense is elementary. You cannot "split" a photon into something other than photons.

This is a misunderstanding. All electromagnetic radiation is quantised and therefore consists of photons. The photon is the fundamental unit of quantisation of EM radiation and in this sense is elementary. You cannot "split" a photon into something other than photons.

I'm in doubt about the impossibility of breaking the photon...

if I stop the photon using the gravity force I don't know what would happen we could understand more about this...

the first post showed a model using quarks to composote the photon it seems more reasonable...

I would suggest the possibility of emission of a radiation coming from the photon if I stop it in a vacuum... or a mass increase.

if I stop the photon using the gravity force I don't know what would happen we could understand more about this...

the first post showed a model using quarks to composote the photon it seems more reasonable...

I would suggest the possibility of emission of a radiation coming from the photon if I stop it in a vacuum... or a mass increase.

probly not...

AFAICT. there's no experiment experiment that has ever "Stopped" light; everyone just "trapped" it. EG https://phys.org/news/2013-08-physicists-motion-minute.html

Black holes don't "stop" photons, they bend their trajectory till it's at right or acute angles to it's origin.

For an analogy. Consider a bubble wand.

61uGIBDCniL._SX425_.jpg

The soap film stretched across the loop can be thought of as a space fabric, and light is allowed to move around from one part of the loop to any other part, but it has to follow the film. Blowing on it alightly you distort that film, and light has to take more and more curved trajectories to get to where it's going the harder you blow. Eventually, if you blow hard enough, the film bends back onto itself and light has to take an Omega-shaped trajectory to get to it's destination.

https://image.freepik.com/free-icon/omega_318-40112.jpg

That Omega-shape making it take several times as much distance as a straight trajectory.

Blow a little harder than that and the legs of the omega close on themselves and you're left with a bubble, and the bubble's not attached to either side of the loop anymore. That's how a black hole works, kinda. 

6Pcs-Bubble-Wand-Tool-Soap-Bubble-Concen

Even the "fun shapes" of bubble wands serve to show how multiple massive objects making a complex barycenter can do the same effect.

The trapped beam trick is more often done by manipulation of the optical properties of a medium while the light beam is inside it, usually by manipulating it's refractive index past a similar event horizon.

I suggest you learn a bit of physics before dreaming up your own theories.

It makes no sense to talk, as you do, of "radiation coming from a photon". Radiation and photons are not distinct things: a photon is EM radiation.   EM radiation is a collection of photons. This is one example of wave-particle duality. Anyone who has learned physics in the 6th form will be aware of this. 

Edited by exchemist