Science Forums

Question For A Chemist

Dubbelosix

What is the simplest crystal lattice stucture known?

I should think either HCP (hexagonal close-packed) or FCC (face-centred cubic), a.k.a. CCP (cubic close-packed). If each atom were represented by a sphere, either arrangement will fill 74% of the space. There is also a slightly less efficiently packed arrangement called BCC (body-centred cubic) which fills 68% of the space. Most metals adopt one of these structures.

Of these three, I should think one might argue HCP is the simplest of all, as the alignment in successive layers is ABABAB, whereas in FCC it is ABCABCABC.   

I should think either HCP (hexagonal close-packed) or FCC (face-centred cubic), a.k.a. CCP (cubic close-packed). If each atom were represented by a sphere, either arrangement will fill 74% of the space. There is also a slightly less efficiently packed arrangement called BCC (body-centred cubic) which fills 68% of the space. Most metals adopt one of these structures.

Of these three, I should think one might argue HCP is the simplest of all, as the alignment in successive layers is ABABAB, whereas in FCC it is ABCABCABC.   

You love to censor me, I think its partly jealousy ... little did you know, I did it to see how fast it would take you to ''grass'' me in. Even littler did you know, I enjoyed seeing the bullying go on there... well, to me anyway, because it exposes the nature of the moderators and most especially you. And by the way, all that nonsense ducky boy went on about that no one showed any interest, maybe he could have checked the read count. 

Edited by Dubbelosix

You love to censor me, I think its partly jealousy ... little did you know, I did it to see how fast it would take you to ''grass'' me in. Even littler did you know, I enjoyed seeing the bullying go on there... well, to me anyway, because it exposes the nature of the moderators and most especially you. And by the way, all that nonsense ducky boy went on about that no one showed any interest, maybe he could have checked the read count. 

Yeah, bye, heh heh.  :winknudge:

This looks like a private argument except you are having it in public.

I suggest you either keep it entirely private via pm

Or if you insist on having it in public, at least let the rest of us know what and where it is about.

This looks like a private argument except you are having it in public.

I suggest you either keep it entirely private via pm

Or if you insist on having it in public, at least let the rest of us know what and where it is about.

on your boat popeye or u'll be getting the same 

Edited by Dubbelosix