Science Forums

Theoria Motus Gravitatis Finalem

Dubbelosix

Paradoxes

1. Signal and event paradox found in the fact light will never reach an observer just outside a black hole ensuring that the machine dropped in will never see it pass the horizon. In the frame of reference of the machine, it surely has passed.

2. Information paradox states that because light cannot escape a black hole, information is lost. Attempts to fix this problem have not been entirely fruitful but has led to new speculations involving the role of entanglement.

New Interpretations from gravitational aether.

1. Light does escape black holes meaning the observer [eventually] will see their machine fall into the black hole.

2. The gravitational aether solves the information paradox by allowing light to escape.

This model becomes apparent: The speed of light is only constant in a vacuum and a general case would involve gravity, not the absence of it. Then we can say nice things like the speed of light depends on a thickness to spacetime, and spacetime is more fundamental than the speed of light itself.

NASA and I are very interested in hearing all about the New Physics you are espousing, wherein gravity slows down light!

From the link:

"Yes, light is affected by gravity, but not in its speed. General Relativity (our best guess as to how the Universe works) gives two effects of gravity on light. It can bend light (which includes effects such as gravitational lensing), and it can change the energy of light. But it changes the energy by shifting the frequency of the light (gravitational redshift) not by changing light speed. Gravity bends light by warping space so that what the light beam sees as "straight" is not straight to an outside observer. The speed of light is still constant"

This NASA quote also leaves out some technical details about how we really think about redshift... not only that, but I would like to add that not everyone is satisfied by GR's explanation of redshift, though it tends to be accepted.

The details I speak of come along the lines of redshift (more generally) is associated to the expansion of space, as I quote:

''The expansion of space redshifts light. As space expands, light waves get stretched and their wavelengths shift. The more that light is stretched, the longer its wavelengths become, and the color of each wave shifts toward the red end of the light spectrum. We say that this light is redshifted.''

In fact, you might want to read up on the Shapiro effect, more specifically, that light has to travel further when it travels around the opposite direction of the Earths rotation. The only way to explain this is a duality between a relative variable speed of light and the gravitational field generated by the rotating frame effecting space. As I stated before, it's ok to say the photon always travels at the speed of light in a gravitational field because the photon has to travel a slightly longer distance due to a gravitational drag. But it can also be easily argued that in the case of gravity, the mediums curvature is far more fundamental than an excitation of an electromagnetic field.