Science Forums

Mass Equalivant To Energy?

hazelm

Meanwhile, Einstein thought it meant that Mass, (matter) is nothing but Energy, and can be converted into that energy, likewise he believed that the relationship was reciprocal, that Energy can be converted into matter.

I use the term "matter", as its the stuff that has the property of MASS.

I kg of matter is 1 kg of mass, which is the measure of how much force needs to be applied to move that matter a set distance in a set time. (otherwise known as the measurement of an objects (matter) Inertia.

But the meanings of matter, mass and inertia, even Kinetic Energy (the E in E=mc2) are rather circular and depend on each other.

Its all a bit of a mess.

Meanwhile, Einstein thought it meant that Mass, (matter) is nothing but Energy, and can be converted into that energy, likewise he believed that the relationship was reciprocal, that Energy can be converted into matter. I use the term "matter", as its the stuff that has the property of MASS. I kg of matter is 1 kg of mass, which is the measure of how much force needs to be applied to move that matter a set distance in a set time. (otherwise known as the measurement of an objects (matter) Inertia. But the meanings of matter, mass and inertia, even Kinetic Energy (the E in E=mc2) are rather circular and depend on each other. Its all a bit of a mess.

Just like the meanings of words, in fact. 

Just like the meanings of words, in fact. 

Please don't just make a comment with no explanation of how you got there.

Which part do you consider messed up?  As it stands, I don't know what you mean here. did you mean that words in general are able to be interpreted in a number of ways? or 

Einsteins use of words is messed up or my use of words is messed up?

Please don't just make a comment with no explanation of how you got there.

Which part do you consider messed up?  As it stands, I don't know what you mean here. did you mean that words in general are able to be interpreted in a number of ways? or 

Einsteins use of words is messed up or my use of words is messed up?

The meanings of words "are rather circular and depend on each other".

A dictionary explains words in terms of other words, the meanings of which are themselves to be found.......... in a dictionary, expressed in more words.......and so on.

The meanings of words "are rather circular and depend on each other".

A dictionary explains words in terms of other words, the meanings of which are themselves to be found.......... in a dictionary, expressed in more words.......and so on.

Well I guess you could say the definitions of the terms as used in Physics, as opposed to the dictionary meaning of the words in common use.

Anyway, its messed up.