Science Forums

Fasting

Deepwater6

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/01/health/fasting-longevity-food-drayer/index.html

Although this would require much more study, I was surprised by the results of the ones they did. It almost seems counterintuitive to a healthy diet. Does anyone have experience with any form of it?

Also do we know how and why it came to be practiced by some religions?

Maybe it's part physical and part psychological and the cause is societal?

i.e. the act of self control/moderation before you eat could be more beneficial to you than the actual/moderated amount that you eat when you do finally eat.

Over the past 6 months I have been unfortunate enough to be in the position to observe an un medicated clinically diagnosed bipolar type 1, the most selfish and dishonest/deceptive person I have ever encountered in my entire life. Given 1 months supply of food and supplies it would all be gone/discarded/wasted in the first 3 days and they'd be stealing from others who have less than them. 

I have genuine concerns for people who are victims of circumstances beyond their control but I am not stupid and will not put up with people who only tell the truth 1/3 of the time at best and who are their own worst enemies. 

Edited by LaurieAG