Science Forums

Do You Ever Feel That Life Is Pointless?

Virtual

You are missing the one thing you can do:  Prove the naysayers wrong.  There are thousands of judgemental naysayers out there ready to tell you you can't.  That's  because they don't want your competition.  Ignore them.  Look around.  Find the one thing that really interests you and dig in JFF (Just For Fun).  The rest will follow.  You may never be rich and famous but remember http://vuelta.club rich and famous have to sit up  nights guarding the chicken coops.  Sleeping comfortably nights is healthier.

Agree.

Edited by parson

• 2 weeks later...

All I know is that experts say that you are programmed and shaped by evolution. Your genes determine who/what you are. If you are inferior and undesirable, that’s too damn bad, there’s nothing you can do about it. You couple that with the fact that your brain’s plasticity goes away at about my age, there’s nothing you can do.

Look, I’m not trying to make excuses. I’m just wondering why no one reaffirms the belief we all were raised with, which is that “anyone can do anything they set out to do with the right mindset and hard work”. I don’t hear that being said anymore. All I hear is - you are what your genes dictate, you have no free will, and the older you get the less capable you become in terms of fixing your problems.

Edited by Virtual

All I know is that experts say that you are programmed and shaped by evolution. Your genes determine who/what you are. If you are inferior and undesirable, that’s too damn bad, there’s nothing you can do about it. You couple that with the fact that your brain’s plasticity goes away at about my age, there’s nothing you can do.

Look, I’m not trying to make excuses. I’m just wondering why no one reaffirms the belief we all were raised with, which is that “anyone can do anything they set out to do with the right mindset and hard work”. I don’t hear that being said anymore. All I hear is - you are what your genes dictate, you have no free will, and the older you get the less capable you become in terms of fixing your problems.

That last bit is silly. Older people have experience to draw on, which is very valuable for survival. You are what your genes dictate, but expression is malleable. The only time your genes will really club you is if you are born with extra ones, or if they are damaged to a really horrible degree. Consider an Olympic competitor vs your average person and you'll see what genetic variation can do for you in terms of specialization; a pro football player will probably be unable to go pro at baskeyball and vice versa just because of body morphology. Both of them will lose to an olympic swimmer at Polo.

As for neuroplasticity....that's a matter of effort. Your brain is like a muscle: work it out and burn calories with it, and it will be strong and elastic; run a routine, accept easy explanations instead of take a real investigation, and stop learning new things, then it will atrophy. Considering people can and have recovered from catastrophic brain injury at 30+ years of age, that's not an excuse you can use either.

I think you don't hear it being said anymore because western civ is being tainted by equity politics instead of equality. Society is being tainted with communist ideology, and what you're noticing is one of the side-effects of it.

"Anyone can do anything they set out to do with the right mindset and hard work."

"You are what your genes dictate, you have no free will, and the older you get the less capable you become in terms of fixing your problems."

These two statements don't contradict each other.

Free will is hard to define.