Science Forums

Squelching Paywalls

hazelm

This is all very well but who will publish science if they don't get paid for it? 

That is true but didn't the article say the authors pay to be published - something like $1800?  That did surprise me.  Maybe I am mis-reading?  Thinking of it, authors paying would raise an issue of whose articles deserve to be paid for and whose of different quality would have to be paid for by the author.

Hmmmm?

That is true but didn't the article say the authors pay to be published - something like $1800?  That did surprise me.  Maybe I am mis-reading?  Thinking of it, authors paying would raise an issue of whose articles deserve to be paid for and whose of different quality would have to be paid for by the author.

Hmmmm?

I don't think so and certainly that has not been the practice in reputable science journals.

There is a demi-monde of "predatory" journals, often based in places like India, which do charge, but these are really scams, earning money from people who can't get published elsewhere, and they don't review the material properly so they are worthless as sources. 

I don't think so and certainly that has not been the practice in reputable science journals.

There is a demi-monde of "predatory" journals, often based in places like India, which do charge, but these are really scams, earning money from people who can't get published elsewhere, and they don't review the material properly so they are worthless as sources. 

All right.  Thanks.  I wish Barnes & Noble would sell some of these reputable journals.  They do sell a very few but most, while reputable are more written down.  Plus our stores put science magazines high up on the racks.  Have to either climb the wall or call for help to look at any of what they do have.

Fortunately, Scientific American is beginning to appear in other stores - grocery and drug stores around here.  Perhaps elsewhere.

Anyway ....  will be nice to see more well-written articles as I learn from them.