Science Forums

Fuel For Victor's Ship?

hazelm

Victor, I confess to not understanding much of this or your fuel but thought it might be of interest - space craft thrusters that use charged particles as fuel. 

(quote):  The study of whistlers from space could aid in the development of practical plasma technologies with magnetic fields, including space craft thrusters that use charged particles as fuel...The thrusters use electricity to propel plasma to extremely high speeds faster than a chemical rocket.  (unquote)

I know.  Far into the future.  Just hoped it would be of interest.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/08/180814140507.htm

Victor, I confess to not understanding much of this or your fuel but thought it might be of interest - space craft thrusters that use charged particles as fuel. 

(quote):  The study of whistlers from space could aid in the development of practical plasma technologies with magnetic fields, including space craft thrusters that use charged particles as fuel...The thrusters use electricity to propel plasma to extremely high speeds faster than a chemical rocket.  (unquote)

I know.  Far into the future.  Just hoped it would be of interest.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/08/180814140507.htm

Why thank you my thruster design does exactly this, it will be applied to the plasma thrusters, but the by products of Fusion and Fission are being used as the fuel for the thrusters, Superheated Plasma of Helium 4 and Water, which this method could be applied to.

Edited by VictorMedvil

Ion thrusters aren't really "far into the future" and you just described a slightly higher-energy ion thruster...

Still, kicking it up a notch into higher-energy realms could be useful. Not sure about the return-on investment to specific impulse, and the torquing effect described might very well make it useless. Still cool read.
I hear SAFIRE is finding some neat things with plasma research. Most of their predetermined EU stuff reads like hokum :magic:  to me, but I can't deny some of the refinements of plasma theory they're working on. I DO wish I could find copies of their hard data, though. :D

Why thank you my thruster design does exactly this, it will be applied to the plasma thrusters, but the by products of Fusion and Fission are being used as the fuel for the thrusters, Superheated Plasma of Helium 4 and Water, which this method could be applied to.

"by products of fusion and fission"?  I'll look at your thread in a minute.  Were chemicals somehow involved?  Or not chemicals but  pure elements?   Is this different from the particles that the article mentions using?

I can just hear ExChemist saying "why didn't you study physics?".  Sorry, Exchemist.  I was busy reading Tale of Two Cities and that was deep enough.  Had to read it twice.  A good dose of history helped.

On with the ship, Victor, and good luck.

"by products of fusion and fission"?  I'll look at your thread in a minute.  Were chemicals somehow involved?  Or not chemicals but  pure elements?   Is this different from the particles that the article mentions using?

or 

I can just hear ExChemist saying "why didn't you study physics?".  Sorry, Exchemist.  I was busy reading Tale of Two Cities and that was deep enough.  Had to read it twice.  A good dose of history helped.

On with the ship, Victor, and good luck.

Nuclear Reactions were used to produce those products which would have great pressure at 4 Billion kelvin or hotter. No Chemical reactions purely nuclear reactions.

Edited by VictorMedvil