Science Forums

Indecent Obsession .................

petrushkagoogol

The media is fixated with N-weapons when the lingua franca of political dialogue has changed to internet protocols like http and https.

Here is an attempt to demystify two popular cold war terms -

• no first use means you get destroyed first :-(
  • MAD stands for mutually assured destruction which actually means "more asinine doublespeak"!!!

It is a ploy by media to confuse people who are scientifically ignorant ....

Is there not a need to increase awareness ? ( still the Specter of N-destruction still looms large )

agree or disagree ?

PS : if the speed of light were 10% 'of it's current value then the fission bomb would be impossible (E=MC^2)  :innocent:

The media must maintain fear and polarization of the population. If it does not it doesn't make as much money.

Nukes are just a magic word that hasn't been used in a minute, so it's more effective than bio(anthrax scare, remember that? Avian flu?), or chemical (The whole reason for Bush Jr to get Iraq's oil under NATO control, every 2nd world country has nerve gas!), etc...

As the populous becomes desensitized to one type they have to rotate to the next. Modern media has made this cycle MUCH faster and more recognizable than it was in the 20th century. Seems to take us 4-8 years to rotate through "scares" that used to take 20-40.

Nuclear war is much less likely today than it was even 30 years ago. We have interception abilities that dwarf those we used to, post incident information from Three-mile, Chernobyl, and Fukushima that point out just how wrong half the alarmists are/were about what fallout does to biology. Never mind The Sheer Number of Detonations we've done already and the limited effect they've had (other than making sure iodine is in your salt).

less likely today?

After Trump and Kim's interchange of dialogue about who has the biggest nuclear button, I can assure you, the danger is more pertinent today than it ever has been.

Especially taking in all variables into consideration, such as, more countries now hold weapons of mass destruction than any time in history. Chemical warfare is also now on the agenda of ISIS. The world is coming to an end, or at least.... a portion of it. America will be hit worst, I presume. 

The media is fixated with N-weapons when the lingua franca of political dialogue has changed to internet protocols like http and https.

Here is an attempt to demystify two popular cold war terms -

• no first use means you get destroyed first :-(
  • MAD stands for mutually assured destruction which actually means "more asinine doublespeak"!!!

It is a ploy by media to confuse people who are scientifically ignorant ....

Is there not a need to increase awareness ? ( still the Specter of N-destruction still looms large )

agree or disagree ?

PS : if the speed of light were 10% 'of it's current value then the fission bomb would be impossible (E=MC^2)  :innocent:

Either way... word salad. Try and articulate your posts better please. 

less likely today?

After Trump and Kim's interchange of dialogue about who has the biggest nuclear button, I can assure you, the danger is more pertinent today than it ever has been.

Especially taking in all variables into consideration, such as, more countries now hold weapons of mass destruction than any time in history. Chemical warfare is also now on the agenda of ISIS. The world is coming to an end, or at least.... a portion of it. America will be hit worst, I presume. 

I laughed at that. Maybe I'm just too desensitized. Maybe I just don't watch CNN.

Since what I know of T&K is that it lead to a DISARMAMENT treaty not a button comparison, I'm kinda curious where you're coming from.

Any modern high school graduate who actually LEARNED chemistry can make chemical weapons from stuff in home home depot that would make the first and second world war think tanks terrified, but I don't think that's leading the world to any "end" any time soon. It's generally the idiots that cause problems, and idiots have a hard time scaling up beyond a 2 block radius. CIA's pet-project ISIS included.

Side note: Why nobody is bitching about India and Pakistan's poorly monitored nuclear proliferation is beyond me. North korea is chump-change in comparison to those two radical states.

Edited by GAHD

Well I am not surprised you laughed. It sounds ridiculous because it is school-ground talk about subjects of the upmost importance. 

Anyway ... enough of trump blowing his trumpet, the world is ending in many ways... I mean, global warming is just one disaster... but it seems the most pertinent right now. With Trumps ''antiscience'' agenda and appointing creationists into strong powerful positions, just lessens the life expectancy of this planet. Plastics will degrade and give off methane, being next to other factors, a contributor to global warming. But his disrespect of life and conquest of business aspirations will lead the planet to a more dangerous position, morally and physically. I have already convinced myself that the oceans have been disrespected with the highest impunity, that soon life on Earth will follow.