Science Forums

Hey everyone,

I created a pattern of (seemingly) emerging chaos using simple sequences of colors. This is the link to the picture and the additional text/context: http://www.justintimmer.com/the-chaos-of-colors-chaos-shown-through-colors/

I don't really know if this thing is chaotic, and I don't know the implications of this "thing". Therefore, I would really appreciate some feedback, comments, and useful links.

Thank for your input!

post-95074-0-13488400-1533804954_thumb.png

If you do enough samples sooner or later a pattern will appear arising from the chaotic pattern, There is always a chance that something will emerge, lets say there were 1 million boxes with 1 million colors, if you did a pattern 1 trillion times, then you would get every possible pattern and would see a picture of a cat in one, in another a dog, etc. Even from random generation, complex organized patterns  can appear.

Edited by VictorMedvil

This could be applied to anything like you could do this for the chance of life to first be constructed in the same manner, Let's say a bacterial cell is 400,000 bp, then the odds of a cell forming from amino acids is 1/3,466,666 per micrometer of space with amino acids, if you take the geometry of life as a picture raster being the odds of life as an amino acid filled picture emerging from a chaotic amino acid puddle picture.

Edited by VictorMedvil

Yes, I do think I understand your reasoning. Life can find structure in randomness if you just let it run long enough? But I don't really understand how that relates to the picture I created. Are you saying that my picture does not have any meaning because every picture will produce some sort of pattern eventually? 

... every picture will produce some sort of pattern eventually? 

Not related to colours, but there are some non-repeating tesselations (tiles) - arrangements that never repeat on large scales.

Pity, I cant seem to find an example. Must be Googling the wrong keywords.

[ EDIT ] Ah.

"Roger Penrose discovered that it was possible to construct a pattern from just two different shapes, each of them a rhombus with angles which are multiples of 36 degrees; the pattern achieves fivefold symmetry and, most remarkably, can be extended to infinity without repeating itself."

https://www.wadham.ox.ac.uk/news/2014/january/non-repeating-patterns

Edited by DaveC426913

Yes, I do think I understand your reasoning. Life can find structure in randomness if you just let it run long enough? But I don't really understand how that relates to the picture I created. Are you saying that my picture does not have any meaning because every picture will produce some sort of pattern eventually? 

No, I am not saying it is meaningless I am just saying that is not the only system which obeys this type of patterns appearing from random chaos, This happens in nature all the time, like look at leaves sometime, there are many things this could be applied to.

Edited by VictorMedvil

Not related to colours, but there are some non-repeating tesselations (tiles) - arrangements that never repeat on large scales.

Pity, I cant seem to find an example. Must be Googling the wrong keywords.

[ EDIT ] Ah.

"Roger Penrose discovered that it was possible to construct a pattern from just two different shapes, each of them a rhombus with angles which are multiples of 36 degrees; the pattern achieves fivefold symmetry and, most remarkably, can be extended to infinity without repeating itself."

https://www.wadham.ox.ac.uk/news/2014/january/non-repeating-patterns

Thanks! I was unaware of penrose tiling, this is very interesting!

No, I am not saying it is meaningless I am just saying that is not the only system which obeys this type of patterns appearing from random chaos, This happens in nature all the time, like look at leaves sometime, there are many things this could be applied to.

Yes, I am really fond of (fractal) patterns in nature, just take a look on my website if you're interested http://www.justintimmer.com/ and I also contribute to https://fractal.institute/ (still working on the site though). So I have thought about that, in fact, I think that was one of the main thoughts behind creating this picture.