Science Forums

Is Dark Matter Real?

hazelm

I have several times seen someone mentioning Sabine Hossenfelder with high praise.  I look forward to my first chance to read something by her.  If anyone else is interested, the August 2018 issue of Scientific American has this:

"Is Dark Matter Real? -- Astrophysicists have piled up observations that are difficult to explain with dark matter.  It is time to consider that there may be more to gravity than Einstein taught us."  By Sabine Hossenfelder and Stacy S. McGaugh.

Sabine Hossenfelder's attached biography says she "researches physics beyond the Standard Model".   Perhaps I will find this once I start reading but, just in case:  "Standard Model" of what?  Physics?   What is the Standard Model, please.

Thank you.

I have several times seen someone mentioning Sabine Hossenfelder with high praise.  I look forward to my first chance to read something by her.  If anyone else is interested, the August 2018 issue of Scientific American has this:

"Is Dark Matter Real? -- Astrophysicists have piled up observations that are difficult to explain with dark matter.  It is time to consider that there may be more to gravity than Einstein taught us."  By Sabine Hossenfelder and Stacy S. McGaugh.

Sabine Hossenfelder's attached biography says she "researches physics beyond the Standard Model".   Perhaps I will find this once I start reading but, just in case:  "Standard Model" of what?  Physics?   What is the Standard Model, please.

Thank you.

Well there's the standard model, the lcdm, & then there's the holy grail. literally

Edited by Super Polymath

Thank you.

The Standard model is the commonly used physics for instance Dubbel and myself are both researching models considered beyond the Standard model, the Standard model consists of SR,GR,QM,QFT, all put into a framework for explaining the universe under currently well understood principals which are more or less the foundations of modern physics. String Theory and Quantum Loop Gravity are also considered beyond the standard model, it is just a way of saying commonly accepted physics without any alterations the basic models of the Universe for each scale or most widely used.

Here is the CERN page about the Standard model https://home.cern/about/physics/standard-model

Edited by VictorMedvil

The Standard model is the commonly used physics for instance Dubbel and myself are both researching models considered beyond the Standard model, the Standard model consists of SR,GR,QM,QFT, all put into a framework for explaining the universe under currently well understood principals which are more or less the foundations of modern physics. String Theory and Quantum Loop Gravity are also considered beyond the standard model, it is just a way of saying commonly accepted physics without any alterations the basic models of the Universe for each scale or most widely used.

Here is the CERN page about the Standard model https://home.cern/about/physics/standard-model

Thank you, Victor.  The authors speak of some types of particular dark matter becoming superfluids that flow without resistance and where quantum effects are dominant.  I must confess that they lost me there (to be expected).  There are several good "maybe's" in the article including "Maybe the truth is in between:  a type of dark matter masquerading as modified gravity."  I like how the point out all possibilities rather than just pushing one theory as opposed to another. 

I did read some about the Standard Model at Wiki.  Shall see what those at CERN have to say.

Copied from CERN at link posted by Victor above.  An incomplete picture:

The theory incorporates only three out of the four fundamental forces, omitting gravity. There are also important questions that it does not answer, such as “What is dark matter?”, or “What happened to the antimatter after the big bang?”

Dark matter and the antimatter that disappeared after the Big Bang -- could they be the same?  Or somehow related?

Copied from CERN at link posted by Victor above.  An incomplete picture:

The theory incorporates only three out of the four fundamental forces, omitting gravity. There are also important questions that it does not answer, such as “What is dark matter?”, or “What happened to the antimatter after the big bang?”

Dark matter and the antimatter that disappeared after the Big Bang -- could they be the same?  Or somehow related?

Well, actually Dark matter and Antimatter to share a common theme Antimatter is an opposition upon charge being antimatter is opposite to matter in charge + versus - , Dark Matter is the same upon a property called Hyper-charge or flavour, Dark matter is the - to the +  on hyper-charge to normal matter being the in the standard model a formation of sterile neutrinos which have a right handed spin causing this opposition upon Hyper-charge much like photons or Weak Positives generate antimatter and opposite charge in pair production, The Sterile neutrino is the Weak Positive of Dark Matter, which Weak Positive particle generate antimatter particles called positrons or anti-electrons when they decay, so do sterile neutrinos when they decay generate Dark Matter.

Edited by VictorMedvil