Science Forums

Are We Pretty Much Unchangeable?

Virtual

I'm not sure how to word this question but I'll do my best. The more I read about evolution, biology, etc... it seems like what I take away from it is that you are pretty much who/what you are from birth. If you're beta male who is rejected by the ladies and cant get laid, that's just the way it IS. Nothing you can do about it. Your genes have it all set in stone. If you suck at math, thats that, you're always going to be below average at it even with practice and studying. That's just how nature wired your brain and that's what the luck of genetics bestowed on you. If you're a poor public speaker, too bad, you always will be No matter what you do. I could be wrong in my interpretation of what I've learned so far, but it just seems to me most experts tend to speak in a way that suggests that this is the case. If so, it's depressing, and I've began to look at life through this sense and I can see where this is true. So I guess in essence what I'm trying to say is that beta males can't become alpha males, people who are terrible at math will never become math whizzes, socially anxious people who are terrible at public speaking will never become the next Christopher Hitchens, and so on and so forth.

I'm not sure how to word this question but I'll do my best. The more I read about evolution, biology, etc... it seems like what I take away from it is that you are pretty much who/what you are from birth. If you're beta male who is rejected by the ladies and cant get laid, that's just the way it IS. Nothing you can do about it. Your genes have it all set in stone. If you suck at math, thats that, you're always going to be below average at it even with practice and studying. That's just how nature wired your brain and that's what the luck of genetics bestowed on you. If you're a poor public speaker, too bad, you always will be No matter what you do. I could be wrong in my interpretation of what I've learned so far, but it just seems to me most experts tend to speak in a way that suggests that this is the case. If so, it's depressing, and I've began to look at life through this sense and I can see where this is true. So I guess in essence what I'm trying to say is that beta males can't become alpha males, people who are terrible at math will never become math whizzes, socially anxious people who are terrible at public speaking will never become the next Christopher Hitchens, and so on and so forth.

The nature versus nurture debate has been going on for about 100 years if not longer basically, the conclusion that was come to about this is it is 50% genetic and 50%  practice , if you are a bad public speaker you may not always be so if you practice the art of speaking a great deal, if you are a beta male maybe you should learn to pick up  the ladies, and know what ladies like to make yourself more attractive, for instance, I have not always been this way but I am good with women, in my younger years I was bad with females, I just learned to be what women want. It is never that set in stone being talented isn't everything as Einstein said, it is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. 

The nature versus nurture debate has been going on for about 100 years if not longer basically, the conclusion that was come to about this is it is 50% genetic and 50%  practice , if you are a bad public speaker you may not always be so if you practice the art of speaking a great deal, if you are a beta male maybe you should learn to pick up  the ladies, and know what ladies like to make yourself more attractive, for instance, I have not always been this way but I am good with women, in my younger years I was bad with females, I just learned to be what women want. It is never that set in stone being talented isn't everything as Einstein said, it is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. 

Who was it who said that years ago?  I remember it making such an impression on my young mind.  Work at it and you'll get it.  OK but I'll not take 99% odds.  There is something to what OP says.  There are some things your brain just was not built to handle.  But, in consolation, that same brain will be exceedingly good at something else.  Take advantage of that.  So, as Victor says, work on what you really want and it will improve.  But, don't in the meantime, lose what your genes carried from the start.  We each have our own talent to share.

How did I get suddenly so didactic?  Because, right now, I am not happy with this new theory that everyone has to be an extrovert and competitive.  I think it has been shown that most great inventions came from the heads of dreamers.

I'm not so much talking about the "nature vs nurture" topic as I am "nature vs practice". Or perhaps the better way to say it would be "inborn traits/genes vs ability to do/be/accomplish things outside of what those inborn traits/genes dictate". The reason I used the alpha vs beta male example was because that's an example of something people tend to talk about as being a set, determined thing. You're either an alpha who is constantly getting panties thrown at you, or you're a beta who inhabits every woman's friend zone. And there's no going from one to the other. You cant go from being a beta male to an alpha male. It just isn't in your biological capacity. (I'm speaking rhetorically of course)

But on a larger scale, it seems as though what I take away from evolution and life sciences in general is that who/what you are is pretty much a fixed thing. There is no practicing/exercising/striving to change it. It's pretty much set in stone. It's actually something that starts to make a lot of sense the deeper you delve into learning about evolution. It makes modern society not make much sense in light of evolution. You've got psychiatrists, life coaches, counselors, clinical psychologists, etc. trying to help people change themselves, become better versions of themselves, and help them become vital members of society with desirable attributes. But none of that makes any Darwinian sense at all. You're not supposed to help people who aren't already endowed with winning traits to acquire such attributes. You're supposed to let them die under Darwinism. They're inferior, can't cut the mustard, etc... This is where I wonder if people are essentially born this way or that way and are mostly unchangeable? And does it makes sense to try to help/aid them the way modern society does?

Edited by Virtual

I'm not so much talking about the "nature vs nurture" topic as I am "nature vs practice". Or perhaps the better way to say it would be "inborn traits/genes vs ability to do/be/accomplish things outside of what those inborn traits/genes dictate". The reason I used the alpha vs beta male example was because that's an example of something people tend to talk about as being a set, determined thing. You're either an alpha who is constantly getting panties thrown at you, or you're a beta who inhabits every woman's friend zone. And there's no going from one to the other. You cant go from being a beta male to an alpha male. It just isn't in your biological capacity. (I'm speaking rhetorically of course)

But on a larger scale, it seems as though what I take away from evolution and life sciences in general is that who/what you are is pretty much a fixed thing. There is no practicing/exercising/striving to change it. It's pretty much set in stone. It's actually something that starts to make a lot of sense the deeper you delve into learning about evolution. It makes modern society not make much sense in light of evolution. You've got psychiatrists, life coaches, counselors, clinical psychologists, etc. trying to help people change themselves, become better versions of themselves, and help them become vital members of society with desirable attributes. But none of that makes any Darwinian sense at all. You're not supposed to help people who aren't already endowed with winning traits to acquire such attributes. You're supposed to let them die under Darwinism. They're inferior, can't cut the mustard, etc... This is where I wonder if people are essentially born this way or that way and are mostly unchangeable? And does it makes sense to try to help/aid them the way modern society does?

**** you. The women want someone new.

That is not true, how alpha males become alpha is practice I am telling you that it is not all about what they were born with, it is the information stored in their brain, having a Big Penis doesn't mean a thing if women view you as broke and without a job, like a friend of mine, he can still pick up women though but that is because he is a Pimp and knows how to attract women. Learn to embrace your inner pimp, and if that doesn't work impress women with a nice movie and dinner with your money, there are many ways to get panties constantly tossed at you. Women are simple creatures basically, they want one of two things, a guy that is stable to have children with the "Good Guy" or a guy that is the "Bad Guy" that they want to adventure with, the key is to this all being the way you act not the way you were born. Evolution and genetics have very little to do with human mating other than being "Cute" may make it a bit easier as women will find you attractive physically or having a big penis which will make slutty women want to have sex with you besides that it is all in the fact of how much of a PIMP are you mentally. Also there is a class I teach called pimping 101 if you want to learn to be a pimp, message me.

Edited by VictorMedvil

I didn't intend for this thread to be about how to attract women or how to become a desirable man. I was merely using the "alpha/beta male" thing as an example of the concept I'm trying to discuss. But you could pick any topic you like. Pick math skills, leadership, athletic ability, etc...