Science Forums

What Exoplanet Might Reply Us Back?

alfa015

So.. we have sent radio messages to Gliese 273 b and the Gliese 581 system, where planet 'g' hasn't been confirmed yet but it is potentially habitable.

Which of these exoplanets, if any, do you think might reply us back?

Put in other words, which of these exoplanets do you think it might have intelligent life?

I recently made a video about this topic, just in case someone wants to check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egEcoNB5pZU&list=PL3RiFKfZj3pv9tm2gNUx313_nrZtX4W8M

A nice job on the video, and I agree it's a mistake to let everyone in the jungle at night know our location. On the bright side the chances that other intelligent life being close enough to get to us gives me some peace of mind. The chances that intelligent life shaped and having the ability to communicate as a human near us are even more remote.

When you consider the different atmospheres, gravity levels, and electromagnetic fields shaping ET's bodies, you can see other obstacles for communication. What's most disturbing is that Hollywood has most people believing that we could defeat any malevolent aliens that arrive.  :nono:

A nice job on the video, and I agree it's a mistake to let everyone in the jungle at night know our location. On the bright side the chances that other intelligent life being close enough to get to us gives me some peace of mind. The chances that intelligent life shaped and having the ability to communicate as a human near us are even more remote.

When you consider the different atmospheres, gravity levels, and electromagnetic fields shaping ET's bodies, you can see other obstacles for communication. What's most disturbing is that Hollywood has most people believing that we could defeat any malevolent aliens that arrive.  :nono:

Kinda off-base from the OP, but "defeating any malevolent aliens" is a subject I've had a couple thoughts on.

1) they chose to cross interstellar distances, thus they are way more advanced than us and we have no chance once they control the orbitals.

2) they were forced to cross interstellar distances, they're possibly not too advanced, and likely low on resources, we might have equal footing.

3) "they" didn't cross interstellar distances, some form of Von-neuman or berserker probe did in their stead. We just might have a chance, and a good one at that, to hijack control.

4) they failed to cross interstellar distances, either the generation-ship is ballistic, or it's automated systems bring it to a halt where we can hijack.

5)They're eldritch levels of alien, like out-of-life-band alien, and thus there's no conflict of interest and a question weather we'd recognize each other as "life. Either we are burning-hot fireballs living on a world they consider a lava-lake (liquid H2O), or we're freezing-cold ice-monsters walking on what should be atmosphere.

6)Once you're out of a gravity well, there isn't much reason to dip back down into one unless you REALLY have to. It's less productive to haul resources up and out than to just harvest it in microgravity environments.

Yes, a little off topic, but I believe he refers to it in his video. Never the less your list makes a good point about the amount of possible scenario's that could play out for first contact. Maybe they're not be listening correctly for our messages, maybe they don't have the ability, possibly they have the ability but aren't tuned in on the right frequency etc. etc.

The other side of the coin is each others probes such as our Voyager and Starshot missions. Other species may have the ability to detect a physical object passing near their systems one day. IMHO we are more likely to encounter investigative probes from ET's before the Vulcans or Klingons actually take the ride for themselves. Be they friend or foe, I think they would want to see what they're buy before they make the trip.

Well, whether or not a civilization may be living on that planet in the habitable zone is greatly dependant upon the age of the Star our Star is about half way through its life cycle and it took around 4 billion years to evolve, Only planet which have stars which are older or the same age have a decent chance of replying back because of the time if Alien civilization take to evolve to that point based on our time of evolution, many of these planets may have life but the life is still in a stage before self awareness or civilization has evolved, if the planet has a star that is too young there would not be enough time for a civilization to evolve the ability for them to talk to us. That is if they take a similar evolutionary tract as Earth.

tree-of-life_2000.png

The Drake's equation's solutions would tell you the amount of chance a exoplanet having a civilization that can communicate back, which is quite low.

Equation.jpg

So, basically, exoplanets with older stars would have a greater chance of communication back to us given more time to evolve the ability to do so.

Edited by VictorMedvil

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Arguably many civiliations have attempted to contact us - there have been literally hundreds of strange signals from planets locked in the habitable zones. This was the conclusion of a study that looked into ET sources outside our own star system. While they very well could be signals from advanced civilizations, I am a bit more open to idea that perhaps an alien civilization would not be so stupid as to put warning signs over where they live. 

Based on how hostile humans are, I would not contact our species either that has been researching weapons to kill each-other starting with the bronze spear to Antimatter bombs since self-awareness that has never not been at war with itself, but there is some truth to it is quite silly that humans announce to everyone at the speed of light that we live on this planet, but then again in all reality we probably have some of the most advanced weapons in the universe from our track record of making them, so why not? If you really think about it this planet is very predatory, what if aliens were afraid to contact this species think about it how many species had a Cold War for 50 years researching weapons against themselves during the modern age and didn't go through an apocalypse probably not many, most species like humans probably self annihilated to be honest being more hostile having a better chance to do so. Most them in space are probably very peaceful species that made it to space unlike humans otherwise they would have gone though a nuclear war or something before space our species has actually come close to nuclear war a very many times, I bet they are dead afraid of humans being a rare predatory species that is in space, then again there is always a scarier path then humans a species that survived a nuclear war or apocalypse that is in space. Based on the laws of physics and the strength of materials I bet that even advanced species are afraid of things like the LHC which can generate Quantum Blackholes and Nuclear Fusion Weapons in reality materials are just not that strong especially with our species having the ability to kill planets like hundreds of thousands of times over, the aliens have to be kinda nervous when contacting humans. If you think about it deeper like our future society model is the Technological Singularity, right, isn't our species aspiration to be like the Borg or Augments from Star Trek a technologically augmented species which is currently happening, it would scare the living hell out of me, if I was another species and came across this planet.

This is probably what humans look like to aliens.

Then what our Artificial Intelligence like Watson, Cortana, Norton, and etc look like to Aliens which have already proven to be smarter than humans, which we are even afraid of.

Edited by VictorMedvil