Science Forums

Multiculturism And Society

questor

The USA prides itself on being the melting pot of the world. we have welcomed people from all countries, religions and cultures for many years. in looking at current events in the world such as terrorism by Muslims, demands upon our educational and welfare systems by illegal aliens, our continuing race problems, one might resonably ask; W hat are the rewards of our multicultural society? are there any benefits we get from our loose

immigration policy? are there benefits from the presence of Muslims? are there benefits

from the presence of illegal immigrants from south of the border? are there benefits from

rap music, ghetto english, drive-by shootings, anti education activities and constant racial tensions?

No, the problems you mentioned are not all OK with me.

There isn't just some simple solution. People need to learn to live together. Criminality that comes with immigration is due to causes more complex than just the immigration itself, it isn't a reason to be against immigration.

I agree with QfWfq

Its somthing you have to deal with or leave the country. But you have to remember there are alot of good people too. And Alot of stupid and nieve people. I Must say our goverment is not the best at times. But NOTHING IS PERFECT! And besides. If it were...there would be no fun.

So complaing like u are now is not helping. If it bothers you that bad....go do somthing about it.

OP5

Society and culture are very complex issues.They reflect ceratin values based on the philosophical foundations that are adapted by the social organization and polity.In the case of USA for example,the people ( persecuted and the adventurous) who colonized the bountiful land and harnessed the natural resources were all migrants mostly from Europe.The real aborigines are kicked around and today after 2-3 centuries you decide who should enter and who should be kicked out.Ofcourse there are problems and prospects with the issues of population migration and its adaptation to new sorroundings.This is a multi dimensional thing which can be looked at from different view points.But ultimately everything depends on the majority public opinion and the wisdom of the the govt of the day.

India for ages, has been a multicultural,multilinguistic society and will remain so.There are conflicts and friction between the interaction of such forces in India also,but its sheer diversty and population makes it reselient.

Muticulturalism causes much of the friction within the US. It used to be called a "melting pot," now it is more like a concrete mixing drum - without the sand, water and cement just a bunch of rock bouncing of each other. Everyone gets their feelings hurt if their special cultural needs are not met. Then there is the fallacy that EVERY cultural group is given equal treatment - you'd never know there is a particular demographic that has been responsible for the terrorist acts in New York and London, but nominate a Roman Catholic for the Supreme Court - never!

India for ages, has been a multicultural,multilinguistic society and will remain so.There are conflicts and friction between the interaction of such forces in India also,but its sheer diversty and population makes it reselient.

While this may be untrue (I'm not Indian ,nor have I been there), but IMO one thing that in an odd way I feel halps India work is the caste system that from my understanding still in effect. This allows the groups to function independently, yet the structure as a whole is cohesive by design.

Much like (I cannot recall the source of the quote off hand) that it has been stated that the US does not need to be a "melting pot" but a mosaic of individuals fitting together to form a whole.

QF, by your logic there would be no reason to quarantine people from foreign countries bringing in the Ebola virus. so your view is that since it is happening, just sit back and let it happen? since it is complex, don't bother to discuss it? i am doing something, i'm bringing up a topic about activities that may destroy our country as we know it.

you said:

''There isn't just some simple solution. People need to learn to live together. Criminality that comes with immigration is due to causes more complex than just the immigration itself, it isn't a reason to be against immigration.''

what does this mean to you? if immigration is ok, how do you stop the bad guys coming in with the good? how do you stop diseased people coming in with the healthy? how do you stop the terrorists?

...one might resonably ask; What are the rewards of our multicultural society?

Indeed - this is a reasonable question; however, the answer would be much better illustrated by a study of nations that have attempted to avoid multicultural societies. People migrate for any number of reasons - that is something that will not change without at least the threat of forceful consequences (i.e. constructing a wall in the middle of Berlin and mining the area around it). Present day efforts at producing a society that is not multicultural have all resulted in the attempted extermination of the minority deemed 'unworthy' (replacing the term genocide with the politically correct phrase 'ethnic cleansing' is almost as big a crime as the act itself). Despite the best efforts of people who will probably never leave their air conditioned offices unless it's an election year, people will never just 'get along'. Welcome to the down side of free will (yeah, there's a whole other conversation to be had regarding free will and determinism, but that's not really the point of this post).

are there any benefits we get from our loose immigration policy?

I'd be willing to bet a few of your ancestors would think so, unless they are presently occupying small plots of real estate on one of our Indian reservations.

are there benefits from the presence of Muslims?

And now we've crossed from reasonable questions to social elitism. This line of thinking brought the world wonderful responses to the same question by replacing Muslims with Jews and Hutus. If you are really interested in why people calling themselves Muslims fly planes into buildings, I suggest you investigate the factions claiming responsibility for these actions. Al Queda and the Taliban represent Islam in the same fashion that the KKK represents Christianity. At the very minimum, get your news from multiple international sources; each will have a spin representative of its indigenous population - the truth lies somewhere between the cyclones.

are there benefits from the presence of illegal immigrants from south of the border?

Despite the fact that I rant about public funding going to people who are not paying taxes and are actively breaking the law, there is something very important about the presence of illegal immigrants that many people overlook: American society could not support itself without the legions of people willing to work in horrible conditions for pitiful pay. Suppose we decide to actually shut the borders and deport every illegal immigrant. Every construction worker in southern California now demands decent pay and benefits - construction stops. Ever farm hand now demands decent pay and benefits - prices for everything from fruit to milk go through the roof and crops rot on the vine / stalk / tree. Illegal immigrants are willing to put themselves through things most Americans wouldn't dream of, and we rail against them (right after they've finished bagging our groceries, of course).

are there benefits from rap music

Have you actually listened to rap music, or even read the lyrics for any number of the songs? I don't personally prefer the genre, but I have no problem listening to a number of rap artists. If you choose to look, there is an incredible amount of depth in the works of more than a few artists. There are, of course, rappers who espouse the virtues of criminal activity, bling bling, and promiscuity; what you might find interesting are the parallels between rap music and country / western music. The growing number of artists teaming up from those two genres is not an accident - the subject matter is almost identical.

After thinking about this for a bit, I find myself wondering where the origins of moder rap music lie. Was rap imported? I thought it was an American product. Perhaps we should revoke citizenship on the basis of "un-American activities"... line up the entertainers, it's time to repeat history.

...ghetto english...

I don't like ebonics. I think it makes people who may understand English sound as if they don't. Of course, I didn't like the way my children spoke after an extended stay with their grandparents in Texas either - warsh is not a word, and thray does not precede four. Upon reflection, the residents of northern Ohio tend to remove a few of the consonants in the middle of particularly long words; that's always bothered me. As soon as I find the immigrant that did all this, I'm going to beat him sensless.

...drive-by shootings...

Aren't the victims of drive-by shootings primarily those people speaking "ghetto english" you mentioned? I may have missed your point on this.

...anti education activities...

This describes the majority of my childhood.

...and constant racial tensions?

That are caused by public sentiment that mirrors the original post in this thread. It seems that the poor, the immigrants, the minorities, the Muslims and the rappers are not the only people who are in need of an education.

The USA prides itself on being the melting pot of the world. we have welcomed people from all countries, religions and cultures for many years. in looking at current events in the world such as terrorism by Muslims, demands upon our educational and welfare systems by illegal aliens, our continuing race problems, one might resonably ask; W hat are the rewards of our multicultural society? are there any benefits we get from our loose

immigration policy? are there benefits from the presence of Muslims? are there benefits

from the presence of illegal immigrants from south of the border? are there benefits from

rap music, ghetto english, drive-by shootings, anti education activities and constant racial tensions?

Has the U.S. benefited by trailer parks? KKK rallies? Lynchings? Serial killers? The Oklahoma City bomber? Watergate? Priests raping little boys? Police brutality? The rich getting richer? Heavy Metal music? Trench-coat killers (Columbine), Drunken frat parties, the slaughter of Native Americans by white settlers?, slavery imposed by white settlers?, Motorcycle gangs?, George Bush^2? I'd say that combining these issues with the ones you posted should all cancel each other out and leave America a paradise to behold.... That or perhaps we should all leave and return the land to the Indians who seemed to be doing pretty well with it on their own.

Indeed - this is a reasonable question; however, the answer would be much better illustrated by a study of nations that have attempted to avoid multicultural societies. People migrate for any number of reasons - that is something that will not change without at least the threat of forceful consequences (i.e. constructing a wall in the middle of Berlin and mining the area around it). Present day efforts at producing a society that is not multicultural have all resulted in the attempted extermination of the minority deemed 'unworthy' (replacing the term genocide with the politically correct phrase 'ethnic cleansing' is almost as big a crime as the act itself). Despite the best efforts of people who will probably never leave their air conditioned offices unless it's an election year, people will never just 'get along'. Welcome to the down side of free will (yeah, there's a whole other conversation to be had regarding free will and determinism, but that's not really the point of this post).

I think you have misunderstood the point of view of many who are opposed to multi-culturalism.

A mutli-cultrual society is fine...that is what made the U.S. the great country it is - everyone here who is not of Native American decent is from somewhere else. (The Native Amercians were doing fine, but they were FAR behind the European continent and had they not been conquered then, they surely would have been a few years later) The problem entered when 'multiculturalism' became a new way of segregating society. Whereas the segregation of the past has been condemned, and rightly so, segregation is being hailed as a great thing in the form of multiculturalism. Students are taught that the Mexican way of life is as good as the Sudanese way of life, which is as good as the Iraqi which is as good as the Russian which is as good as the South African which is as godd as the German or French, et al.... and nothing is mentioned about the fact that if those places were so great, there would be no Iraqis or Mexicans or Sudanese or Viet Namese or Chinese who refuse to assimilate into an English speaking society. The best points of those cultures are mentioned while the reasons for their emigrating from those countries are ignored. This new mantra at the same time states that the American way of life is one of greed and environmental indifference - that is nothing more than neo-communism rearing its ugly head.