Science Forums

Murder is art

motherengine

Speaking of t-shirts...

not that it matters but the title comes from my knowledge of a painter/director who wore a shirt proclaiming 'murder is art' during an interview. for anyone who is interested he is quite an interesting character: donald cammell, may or may not have requested a mirror from his wife with which to watch his face as he died from a self-inflicted gunshot blast to the head (especially macabre when one conciders the fact that a similar scenario occurs in the film "white of the eye" which he wrote with his wife.

may or may not have requested a mirror from his wife with which to watch his face as he died from a self-inflicted gunshot blast to the head .

Well, did she hand it to him?

And would this be life imitating art in it's most simplistic and grotesque form?

Or art imitating life?

I guess it would depend on when the movie was released, huh?

Yah, and its like, totally gross!

Cheers,

Buffy

at least something of value (not intrinsic, granted) is being created with what might otherwise be wasted or pollute the earth. seems more disrespectful (in witkin's case) or unsettling than disgusting to me but to each there own interpretation.

Gee, thanks, Dave. I can't Google right now. I'm too busy trying to keep up with orby and Buffy to worry about silly things like real facts. I mean, they are on a roll, and it's 15 minutes past my movie time. But I'm having so much fun tomight that I may hang around here a few more minutes.

And btw- that story was just icky, I don't care what your perspective is!

Well, did she hand it to him?

And would this be life imitating art in it's most simplistic and grotesque form?

Or art imitating life?

I guess it would depend on when the movie was released, huh?

the artist in me would like to think he got to watch himself, but i don't know, and the event occured quite some time after the film was released (very unique film by the way and, big surprise, about a serial killer with an aesthetic sense).

Maybe he planned it that way so he could actually watch his face... ?

I mean, with a shotgun, what would be the point in asking for a mirror to see your expressions?

Dave, did it say anything about him detailing the experience and his wife making profit from it?

And was she accused of murder, or at least tried as an accomplice?

Here's what the site says (censored):

At 9.45pm on April 24,1996, the British film-maker Donald Cammell shot himself. Because the shot went through his forehead rather than through the roof of his mouth, he lived for another 45 minutes. As he lay in his house, perched on the top of the Hollywood Hills, Cammell remained calm and lucid. He remembered his greatest film, Performance, and recalled its own famous, bullet-in-the-head death scene. More practically, he asked his wife, China, for a pillow so that the carpet wouldn't be [stained] by his blood. But then he made a more curious request: he asked for a mirror. The film-maker wanted to observe his own death.

Well, truly bizarre.

I mean, really!

If your husband had just shot himself in the head, would you worry about handing him a pillow to keep the carpet clean, a mirror so he could watch his own death, or getting yourself a valium to be calm when the cops showed up?

I'm thinking she may have had some issues as well. Who lets their husband shoot themselves in the head, then calmly hands over a mirror so he can watch his own demise?

Was this woman related to Courtney Love?

Guest loarevalo

Have any of you seen the spanish film "The See Inside." It's about a cuadruplegic man that wants to kill himself. Finally, he drinks cyanide, right after making a statement - he videotapes himself as he drinks it and as he dies; you see everything - nice film.

I have question. Someone asked the same one (only in a way that it made more logical sense):

Is one alive when one dies?

How can one die if one has to be alive, in order to die?

Other people I've asked say death may be like a instantaneous transition, like the idea of passing from one country to another through the border.

What you guys think?

murder is a mortal sin

killing is biblically acceptable. (within the clear definition)

i personally see very few circumstances where murder (premeditated and without any value to the still living) is anything more than an abhoration.

murder is a sin, not an art, no matter the circumstances a murderer is defined as a sinner when his killing is of no use to anyone.

when murdering, as in rockstars manhunt, becomes an art i'll weep for our species and hope god sends divine rapture to cleanse his paradise of its perpetrators.