Science Forums

Murder is art

motherengine

This does not provide an exception for cannibals of course, since for them eating you is just a side benefit: the main purpose is domination, fear creation and control. That's still murder, and its the primary reason for the act. Therefore, I don't consider it art unless you consider "art" to be "diplomacy conducted by other means" (thanks Von Clauswitz!)

as far as some murders having a political motivation "conducted by other means" (you are refering to carl von clausewitz right?) this has no bearing on the errant psychopath creating a emotionally provocative expression utilizing a corpse or corpses (of course the bodies used must be made into corpses by the perpetrator in order for the...you know what, nevermind). personally i think that murder can be art though i would not be an advocate of its practice. pop art was bad enough, though i guess that more along the lines of the murder of art.

Well, what is art, really? I mean, is everything art? Can the pattern my snot makes on a hankie be art? Is the movement of a pitcher's arm art? What about the noise of my 4 year old during a rather loud disagreement with her hairbrush? (She hits some pretty high notes there!)

Do you mean that the actual act of killing someone is art? Or that the bodies, when dead, fall in such a way as to seem like a wonderfully horrific display on canvas?

I think that some people have managed to raise killing others to an artform. But I'm not sure that it makes it "art".

I need to go word-digging on this one. BRB... :circle:

Ok, from good ol' Webster...

Webster online dictionary definition for "art"

Pronunciation: 'ärt

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin art-, ars -- more at ARM

1 : skill acquired by experience, study, or observation <the art of making friends>

2 a : a branch of learning: (1) : one of the humanities (2) plural : LIBERAL ARTS b archaic : LEARNING, SCHOLARSHIP

3 : an occupation requiring knowledge or skill <the art of organ building>

4 a : the conscious use of skill and creative imagination especially in the production of aesthetic objects; also : works so produced b (1) : FINE ARTS (2) : one of the fine arts (3) : a graphic art

5 a archaic : a skillful plan b : the quality or state of being artful

6 : decorative or illustrative elements in printed matter

So, I guess if one is very skilled at murder, through experience, study, or observation, and they have learned how to do it, and it is their occupation, and they consciously commit the act with their imagination, then murder may just in fact be art!

Yikes. That's something of a new defense in court, huh?

"How do you plead?"

"Not guilty"

"But you were caught with the chainsaw in your hands and blood all over yur body"

"Yes, but I was simply creating art"

"Oh. Well, in that case, please feel free to continue. Would you like to get artistic with my mother-in-law, by any chance? Umm, case dismissed. See me after court in my chambers."

actually murder is the unlawful killing of a human being, though i will admit that i am unaware of exactly what kind of hotdogs are sold at "Pink's".
They're all beef (Kosher even! Pink's *is* on La Brea near the "Borcht Belt"...). Of course you're right that murder is only relevant when being done *to* humans, so the Bobcat killing you is murder, but you killing the Bobcat is "animal control" (although if someone *owned* the Bobcat, you'd be liable for the cost of replacing it!). PETA of course would turn the whole thing on its head, but at least you'd probably enjoy Pam Anderson killing you...and if videotaped, that *could* be counted as art (I'm sure you're cuter than Tommy Lee...).

Cheers,

Buffy

"How do you plead?"

"Not guilty"

"But you were caught with the chainsaw in your hands and blood all over yur body"

"Yes, but I was simply creating art"

Ha! Its covered by the First Amendment because its freedom of expression! Yow! :circle:

Cheers,

Buffy

Ha! Its covered by the First Amendment because its freedom of expression! Yow! :circle:

Uh-oh... I can hear it now...

"But your Honor, I read on this Science site that I was allowed to kill people with chainsaws, as long as I did it with my beret tilted over my left eyebrow, and I used a paintbrush to smudge the bits of brain and intestintes together. It's actually just me expressing my displeasure at the fact that this woman refused my advances, and it's all protected under the First Amendment. At least that's what this hot slayer and this wacky Irish person said..."

We are gonne be accomplices here, aren't we? I just want you to know, when we end up sharing a cell, that I *will* take the top bunk, and I do not like it when people snore... :Crunk:

Naw, its all "hypothetical" and we haven't actually "advocated" or "conspired to commit a specific illegal act", so I think we're in the clear.

I do snore, but you should know that leverage for shivs is much greater when being applied to the sleeping occupant of the upper bunk (not that I would know from personal experience, my friend Martha told me...)

Your partner in mirth,

Buffy

We are gonne be accomplices here, aren't we? I just want you to know, when we end up sharing a cell, that I *will* take the top bunk, and I do not like it when people snore... :hihi:

you know there is such a thing as death art already. joel peter witkin and gunther von hagen are two people that have experimented with using corpses for artistic works.