Science Forums

Murder is art

motherengine

is every reaction an attempt at control? sticks and stones. symbolic influence and design. behavior and psychology. pathology and ambient noise. conditioned response. what am i thinking but not typing due to the reaction i know will occur if i do?

what is this forum for anyway? just wondering.

murder is art, totally. it's all how you want to look at it.

murder is in the hands of motion.

unless we are taking about a still life painting of a murder.

technically a bobcat could murder a human. though i am talking about intent in design. the arangment of body parts, say, to provoke an emotional response. that could be defined as art. i would never dream of using my mothers head for a dart board mind you [this did happen].

technically a bobcat could murder a human.
Naw, to a bobcat, you're just dinner. You should note of course that most carnivorous species avoid eating humans simply because they don't taste good: this is why so few "shark bites" end up being "I can't believe I ate the whole thing."

This does not provide an exception for cannibals of course, since for them eating you is just a side benefit: the main purpose is domination, fear creation and control. That's still murder, and its the primary reason for the act. Therefore, I don't consider it art unless you consider "art" to be "diplomacy conducted by other means" (thanks Von Clauswitz!)

Cheers,

Buffy

Naw, to a bobcat, you're just dinner. You should note of course that most carnivorous species avoid eating humans simply because they don't taste good: this is why so few "shark bites" end up being "I can't believe I ate the whole thing."

but then if murder is the unlawful taking of a human life, a bobcats intent when it crushes my larynx and the fact fact that it is unaware of human law are besides the point. that bastard animal murdered me.

your moms head was used as a target for darts?

i am extremely horrified to hear that such a dream is a possibility.

not only is this dream a possibility, but it was realized by a man named edmund kemper. personally i find this a pretty sick act (not that there's anything wrong with it mind you). my dreams are much less violent.

Well, the law actually does take into consideration the accused's ability to comprehend the law. That's why Elizabeth Smart's rapist/kidnappers are getting off scot-free.... so since the Bobcat is incapable of understanding why we get all snippy about larynx-gnawing, then its not murder. Also the law is supposed to protect everyone, not just conservative republicans or one-legged lesbian eskimos, so it doesn't really matter if its *your* larynx that's getting gnawed...

Of course in the *real* world, that bobcat will get a summary death sentance without the niceties of a jury trial courtesy of your local law enforcement or animal control officer...

Cheers,

Buffy

Ignorance of the law is no excuse...

At best, the individual's capacity for understanding the implications of the deed, murder most foul, in this case, and the consequences to him or herself, might be seen as mitigating factors.

The blood drippin' off of'm fangs there would be enough to trigger Ole Bob McGee of the search party into jumping to conclusions and blowing the suspect's head off with his pump-action sawn-off shotgun. Thereby denying the suspect its day in court, denying the suspect access to counsel, and also kicking sand in the eyes of the principle of 'innocent until proven guilty'.

The difference is that Ole Bob McGee will come off scot free.

There is no justice.

Well, the law actually does take into consideration the accused's ability to comprehend the law. That's why Elizabeth Smart's rapist/kidnappers are getting off scot-free.... so since the Bobcat is incapable of understanding why we get all snippy about larynx-gnawing, then its not murder. Also the law is supposed to protect everyone, not just conservative republicans or one-legged lesbian eskimos, so it doesn't really matter if its *your* larynx that's getting gnawed...

legally the bobcat may or may not be defined as a murderer, but according to the base definition of the word...

as far as i know elizabeth smart's "rapist/kidnappers" are not getting off scott free but are going to be hospitaizd "indefinitely" (until deemed fit for trial). the difference between jail and a hospital is moral (a judgement oriented issue).

legally the bobcat may or may not be defined as a murderer, but according to the base definition of the word...
Oh no! That means everytime I go to Pink's for a hot dog, I'm an accessory to murder! Where do I turn myself into the authorities?
as far as i know elizabeth smart's "rapist/kidnappers" are not getting off scott free but are going to be hospitaizd "indefinitely" (until deemed fit for trial). the difference between jail and a hospital is moral (a judgement oriented issue).
You are right, but in most states, once you're unfit for trial, sent to an institution and then cured, you just plain get out. They don't try you when you're better because you were incapable of being responsible for your actions at the time.... so if they're "cured" next week, they are off scot-free. Of course some of these hospitals are no cake walk, but people I've talked to say Atascadero State Hospital is much better than San Quentin...

Cheers,

Buffy

Thanks Irish! I think it needs a few more minutes boiling in the pasta pot though....

Did I ever start that thread about doing things 'just like Mom did'? I was thinking about that the other night, as I was cooking spaghetti. (hence my mention of it now, since Buff jogged my memory)

So while those noodles were bubbling, two things struck me... WHY do I rinse the noodles before serving them?

WHY do I throw a noodle at the wall to check if it's done?

Answers to both questions... because that's what Mom always did.

Anyhow, thought I'd start a thread on it, but can't remember if I actually did it or not... :circle:

Oh no! That means everytime I go to Pink's for a hot dog, I'm an accessory to murder! Where do I turn myself into the authorities?

actually murder is the unlawful killing of a human being, though i will admit that i am unaware of exactly what kind of hotdogs are sold at "Pink's".