Science Forums

Why do people think they know anything?

geokker

I was watching a telly program this morning called Heaven and Earth which only ever seems to talk about the supernatural. The fellow who plays Ken Barlow from Coronation Street was on (for the benefit of non-UK readers, He plays a nuclear physicist on a popular science-based soap). He quickly started talking about himself and how he'd been misrepresented in the papers before speaking about the spirit world and how it works.

My problem with this is that these people think they know something. This is the problem with faith in my opinion. It's one thing to believe something and another to profess knowledge and to assume fact. I don't hear enough from people on telly who say 'to be honest, I know bugger all about the afterlife' and 'ghosts? there could be loads of plausible explanations that we don't yet understand' and 'there could quite possibly be a God, I dunno'.

Basically, the Pope knows as much as I do about the afterlife - and I know zipidee-doo-daa. Controversial?