Science Forums

The lorax - dr. seuss

Queso

___I looked over some reviews & I don't recall ever reading the Lorax. I did read through Hop On Pop last night though & I must say I didn't recall the violent imagery. Especially sad as this book is meant for the youngest of readers. ;) I guess if violent imagery for children is good enough for the religous books, it's good enough for secular Seuss.

• 7 months later...

Pop-hopping is both factual and violent. #3 when he was 1 to 3 used to want to stand on me while I was sleeping and wake me up by dancing and jumping up and down. :hammer: It was all in good fun and he was light enough to make it endurable until it turned into what is best described as "The Testicle Two-Step". :umno: Then the game was over and hopping on pop was frowned upon. :naughty: I learned to sleep in a... uh... defensive posture.

Bill

wasn't dr. seuss a childrens book writer??

Yes, indeedy doody, he was.

But before that...!

Dr. Seuss (not his real name) published political cartoons in newspapers under his real name (which I don't remember).

He published during the years (approx) 1935-1945. In other words, WWII.

His cartoons were popular and notorious for their hard-line messages against the Japanese, Germans, anyone who didn't hate the J and G, and anyone who wasn't full-tilt involved with fighting and defeating the J and G. Many of his anti J and G cartoons were extremely racist and vitriolic.

As soon as the war was over, his cartoons fell out of favor. Many folks became embarrased at the extreme viciousness of that kind of political propaganda. They had served their purpose, but folks didn't want them around anymore.

Dr. Seuss "disappeared" for a few years, reinvented himself, created his new name and started publishing children's books. One of his first (and my favorite) was "Bartholomew and the Oobleck" (1949)

So tell us, what was the message?????????????????????????????:naughty: :umno:

Vile ultra-liberal tree hugging propaganda. Some silly illogical clap-trap about how if we cut down all the trees there won't be trees any more. Well, if that happens, then that's what goD intended, and its treasonous to be feeding this so called "theory" to our children without balancing it with the *facts* that what's good for Georgia-Pacific is good for America, and stop these wacko commies from sapping and impurifying all of our precious bodily fluids.

I hear he's not really a doctor. :hyper:

And don't get me going about "I Had Trouble Getting to Solla Sollew": something about how those of us who can afford it shouldn't be able to live in gated communities. The guy wants to force us to send our children to school with "drug dealers."

We must stop these Godless liberals from destroying our youth! Burn all Dr. Seuss books!

Sneetches with Stars on Thars,

Buffy

http://www.michigan.gov/mda/0,1607,7-125-1566_1733_22582-62261--,00.html

The Lorax is a powerful tale about the importance of taking care of the environment. It is about the sad Once-ler who long ago destroyed a beautiful area of land in order to make lots of money. The Lorax is a creature that lived in the land the Once-ler was destroying. The Lorax tried to warn the Once-ler that he was hurting the environment, but the Once-ler was greedy and did not stop to take care of the land. Now the Once-let wants to tell every one not to make the same mistakes that he did.

We actually put on a play of this book in 3rd grade, and I got to play the Lorax... How fun. :naughty:

Vile ultra-liberal tree hugging propaganda. Some silly illogical clap-trap about how if we cut down all the trees there won't be trees any more. ...and stop these wacko commies from sapping and impurifying all of our precious bodily fluids. ...

OHMYGOD!!!!!!!!!! :hyper: :hihi: :lol:

That is so disgusting, I almost lost some of my precious (and pure) bodily fluids! If goD hadn't meant us to cut down trees and pour DDT over everything, hE wouldn't have given us chain saws and DOW Chemical.

:naughty: :umno: