Science Forums

Drawing The Line On Brain Surgery

hazelm

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/163d404c55a76fe0

This is an interesting article about reasons for and against doing surgery on the amygdala of overly-agressive persons.  The pros and cons, how choices of decisions are made and the failures as well as the successes are described.  The reasons for deciding to go ahead with the process leave one thinking hard.  "1984"?   Orwell?

From previous experiences, I have to explain this.  Some of you can just click on the URL above and go right to the site.  It is a copy of several pages directly from the book.   For those who cannot get it that way, you will need to search "delanceyplace.com" and bring it up.

Book title:  "The Biology of Humans at Our Best and Worst" by Robert M Sapolsky.

Edited by hazelm

I found a review of the book.  It seems to be a book more about criminality of humans and why we behave badly than about brain surgery.  They apparently just latched onto that section.  Well worth reading but more would have been interesting.  There is a lot of brain surgery going on now for various purposes.  How much of it is wise, I do not know but  often wonder.  A whole new science to watch.   Definitely a surgery I do not want.  Brains cannot be replaced or regrown - yet.