Science Forums

What is good government?

infamous

Good government provides a minimal framework for people to practice personal responsiblity and pursue their lives minimally molested. Read the Bill of Rights. Good government provides a stable polity - universal currency, neutral court system, common defense, public health, standards for weights and measures, common law - a matrix of basic unchanging rules upon which society interactively evolves because it can trust a predictable future to be there. Good government then shuts up.

You could not run a business if space leasing rules changed at an Offiicial whim, or own a home if the land could be Officially confiscated at a whim. You could not engage in commerce if the vlaue of money wildly fluctuated or the courts could be bought.

The US has nothing near good government, nor does any other country. Let's take a round numbers look at taxes in California. 36% Federal tax, 10% State tax, 14% Social Security tax (you and your employer; or you doubled if self-employed). That looks like 60% of annual income confiscated right off the top. Sales tax, luxury tax, excise tax, land tax, this tax, that tax, fees, surcharges, licenses, permits, mandatory coverages... BAD government.

u want a good government yes

the only way is to do what there europens are doin these days but more on a world scale for example collect all the current leaders of the world and put them in one room then divide the world population up equally amongst the world (any leader who has a problem with this dispose them ) then start inforcing the same languges and stuff after 10.5 generations the world should have a fair government

this is not exact but u get the idea oh yer destroy the U.N

I Don't Think So!!! I think The "Good Government" Is the Government That Give People Their Rights<<thier rights:A good work,Good salary,schools,a medical treatment e.t.c>>, And make them Live in<<(( Safe)) i think that is the important point here>> Wat is the so good in it if it's suprate between the Races And between the social circumstanes (Poor-Rich) i think !! and i think if ur Government will change it's rules or it's system every month or every year u will never ever get ur right ""Or it's can change it Like the "People change them sleves" if there is much mistake in it""Take Care PPL

*+QuEeN_Of_LaVa+*

I don't believe in democracy. I think that the general public is too ignorant to make decisions about the environment, science, war, funding etc. I think that if we could ever have a free society governed by some sort of controlled (and very large) aristocracy of the intellectually elite (experts from relevant fields from differing schools of thought), we would be a more efficient, productive, and positive society. Admittedly, I am a neophyte in the social sciences, so I don't know if what I described is really feasible. :shrug:

Good government provides a minimal framework ... a stable polity...

The US has nothing near good government, nor does any other country..

How is good government to be achieved? My own view is that we should allow rival governments to exist, and let the market decide. But that might threaten the stability part of the equation. So what can be done?

i Think The Bold Will not hurt ur eyes :shrug: and i do have many opinions but i actully said what i want to say and wat i said is right ??? or do u have any other opinion ??Hmmm!?

Take care

*+QuEeN_Of_LaVa+*

Actually, when you bold a word, it is often considered the same as yelling. Many people consider it very rude.

Try checking out our FAQ for other suggestions. You can find out more info here.

For a quick read, this is from our 'Rules' page:

Watch your spelling

It is generally a good idea to write clearly and edit out spelling mistakes. We encourage everyone to write as well as they can. For a lot of our users English is a second language and for them a misspelling may make your entire message unreadable. If you are among those who do not command English very well, please try to do your best.

Please also do not write all your text in one huge block. Hit the ENTER key now and then and leave some space between your paragraphs to make your posts easier to read.

I do have opinions about this topic, but was momentarily derailed by your post. As an Admin, I try to help keep things in order around the site. While I don't like to be a 'post-police' I will remind you that it makes you more credible if you try to make your posts readable and understandable.

I still don't understand what the heck you were trying to say, and your very flip response did nothing to help with that.

"Irish Eyes" Why do u think that am yelling at someone

I already explained that generally, when you make a word bold, it indicates that you are yelling.

are u always like that dont understand the people????

I'm not always like anything. I try to be fair in most every situation, but sometimes just end up getting frustrated when people act in an ignorant way in these forums. I am not above such action, and have been known to do ignorant things once in a while. However, I try to keep myself well-informed of what is desired and expected in any forum in which I post. I try to abide by the forum rules and suggestions. I expect others to do the same.

i think i will yell now ""all i wanted to be is that to be clearly seen oki "

Temper tantrums are very unbecoming, and usually are only useful if you are a very spoiled two year old.

I still have no clue what you are trying to get across with your first post, and I doubt many others do either. However, in light of your responses thus far, I'm not expecting you to explain any further.

lolz yes am sorry for Yelling and sorry if i didn't read that Bold means yelling and am sorry if i didn't read the rules hereActully IrishEyes U have a clue but u act like not if go back and read what i wrote u will find that i didn't write anythng wrong and ur the one who said Bold = yelling

*+QuEeN_Of_LaVa+*

lolz yes am sorry for Yelling and sorry if i didn't read that Bold means yelling and am sorry if i didn't read the rules hereActully IrishEyes U have a clue but u act like not if go back and read what i wrote u will find that i didn't write anythng wrong and ur the one who said Bold = yelling

*+QuEeN_Of_LaVa+*

Well, she said that... And millions of other people who use the internet on a daily basis...

I still have no clue what you are trying to get across with your first post, and I doubt many others do either.
Amen...

Queen of Lava, could you please try to organize your thoughts a little more effectivley (so others may grasp what you may already understand or believe) before posting them. It would greatly help out, this is becoming somewhat of a malignant problem in this forum (not going to name names...) and it would be excellent if you could be part of the solution rather than the problem.

As for bolding, it's really not that big of a deal :shrug:. It's just "proper internet etiquette" to not bold or capitalize unless you are trying to convey yourself as yelling. Again, not that big of a deal, but it can get annoying, so please refrain from doing so unless your intentions are to come across to others as yelling. This would also help give your posts more validity and it wouldn't look like some child was trying to have fun by seeing all the "neat" things they could do with the text as they typed.

Well, she said that... And millions of other people who use the internet on a daily basis...

Amen...

Queen of Lava, could you please try to organize your thoughts a little more effectivley (so others may grasp what you may already understand or believe) before posting them. It would greatly help out, this is becoming somewhat of a malignant problem in this forum (not going to name names...) and it would be excellent if you could be part of the solution rather than the problem.

As for bolding, it's really not that big of a deal :shrug:. It's just "proper internet etiquette" to not bold or capitalize unless you are trying to convey yourself as yelling. Again, not that big of a deal, but it can get annoying, so please refrain from doing so unless your intentions are to come across to others as yelling. This would also help give your posts more validity and it wouldn't look like some child was trying to have fun by seeing all the "neat" things they could do with the text as they typed.

:wave: oki

why u people trying to make me guilty :)

i already said am sorry or do u look after the people here and wat they write

Yes, we do. This is a community full of people that look out for each other. If you stick around, you will also be looked after, and people will take notice when you write something.

I have sent you a Private Message (PM). You can read your PM by clicking on the words "Private Messages" in the top right corner of your screen, right below your screen name. I'm looking forward to hearing back from you.

And we're not trying to be mean, I hope that's not how you feel. It's just so much easier to understand others when they make an effort to be understandable. I'm sure we'll all get past this though, no worries! :shrug: