Science Forums

Favorite Quotes

Dark Mind

Tolstoy wrote; "men only learn when they're suffering". The question is; [how much do you want to learn?]

Infamous, I haven't been able to find this quote anywhere... except on this site. Are you sure he said that, it does sound like Leo Tolstoy, but I'm at a loss as to where to find this particular quote.

I learned this quote in a literature class in college. I think it came from "War and Peace", it's been many years ago and I'm not really sure where I read this or if possibly the instructor may have quoted it from another work. Maybe from " Death of Ivan Ilyich", not sure about the spelling for Ilyich. The more I think about it I'm sure now that it came from either one of these two works. BTW, thanks for the affirmative comments about my signature, they were most appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Science is facts; just as houses are made of stone, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house, and a collection of facts is not necessarily science.

Jules Henri Poincaré (1854-1912)

We know very little, and yet it is astonishing that we know so much, and still more astonishing that so little knowledge can give us so much power.

Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)

Just putting these up here before I change my signature :D.