Science Forums

I prefer the multivrse - one stacked atop or around another.  Maybe hiding in the Dark Matter. 

Heh, multiverses.  Dark matter....

And they have the gall to call that physics, eh?  Why don't they just haul off and get a little more entertaining with their tales, I wonder?

I prefer Greek myths.  At least there's usually a moral to the tale, ya know?

Edited by Moronium

Really?  Me, I would like to have at least one clone, preferably a bunch.  That way I would always have an alibi, know what I'm sayin?

Mine would probably gang up on me and get me in oodles of trouble.  I am innocent, I tell you! 

Heh, multiverses.  Dark matter....

And they have the gall to call that physics, eh?  Why don't they just haul off and get a little more entertaining with their tales, I wonder?

I prefer Greek myths.  At least there's usually a moral to the tale, ya know?

Greek myths had morals to the tales?  All I ever got out of them was "Let's make war"  and "Beware the gods".  Then, of course, there was all the arguing (and hemlock) surrounding philosophical arguments.   Hmmm?  Times haven't changed all that much, have they?

I agree.  A very interesting thread.  Slightly off-topic but still bears on the book since it is about consciousness, does it not?

I wonder if part of the failure to make progress in identifying exactly what consciousness is is due to fear of jumping over into religion.  Any time we get into the non-physical, that little voice is in the background.  In Dr. Petrovic's book, I think he works hard to make sure we understand that by "spirituality" he does not mean any form of religion.  Perhaps he means  only that the non-physical is spiritual.  Consciousness is non-physical.  Spirituality is non-physical.

I am curious to learn how he relates this to  Physics, which he says he does.

Yes I think religion has put a lot of people off even asking the most profound and fundamental question there is, religion has a LOT to answer for. Although it's also the fault of people throwing the baby out with the bath water. That's a really horrible expression.

A lot of scientists try to pretend that consciousness doesn't even exist. That's far more absurd than any religious claim, and then they expect to be taken seriously as scientists, and as people. It's an equivalent insanity to thinking that the Earth is both flat and hollow.

I prefer the multivrse - one stacked atop or around another.  Maybe hiding in the Dark Matter.  I only object to the notion of identical me's in each.  Or, worse, little "anti-me''s".  :-(

I don't think the multiverse and string theory are mutually exclusive competing models, I might be wrong. Dark matter isn't linked to the multiverse idea, at least I never heard anyone claiming that it is.

Dark matter is almost dead, it was never credible in the first place. Our model is wrong, we need to change it, no wait, let's change the universe!

If the multiverse theory is true then anything that can happen does happen, so there's basically an infinite number of yous, an infinite number of almost yous and no clear dividing line between the yous and the not yous.

Really?  Me, I would like to have at least one clone, preferably a bunch.  That way I would always have an alibi, know what I'm sayin?

I think one of you is more than enough. :)